Questioning the creed of Sikhism?

According to most resources that I have read about the Sikh religion, many acknowledge that it is forbidden for any Sikh to cut their nails or their hair. In fact , most Sikhs, especially the baptized ones, encourage the wearing of the turban on their head to hold their long hair and define this head wear as a Sikh identity. The main reason that their scholars have abolished the cutting of nails and hair is due to the fact that they believe it is a betrayal to god. In other words, they believe that god has given them a gift , that is; their hair and nails, and by cutting them is similar to throwing away this gift and therefore provoking god by making him angry with them. My question is, if god has forbidden humans to cut their nails and hair, then why has he allowed trees do drop their leaves and renew them every year, or allow thick haired animals like wolfs, bears and sheep to drop their excess fur and renew it once in a while? Moreover, trees replacing their leaves and animals making new fur are all natural behaviors that god has initially created with his creatures. If that is the case, then why has he abolished cutting the hair and nails for only just humans, after all, it is all natural behavior just as natural as the behavior seen from other creatures he has created no?

Please note that my intentions are not to attack the Sikh religion nor offend it's believers but only curiosity and questions that I have been asking my self regarding Sikhism and I believe only Sikhs can answer to me. Moreover, if you believe that some of the facts that I stated are incorrect, please correct them for me in that area.

Thanks and peace from a Muslim brother :)

Favorite Answer

First off, kudos to you for putting your question out there in a calm manner =]

We don't cut our hair, that is true...but we are allowed to cut our nails....the reason being that having long hair doesn't interfere with our daily lives (cooking, cleaning, work, study, sports and so on). long nails on the other hand, do. if you leave your nails long you could cause injury to yourself and others...whereas your hair doesn't do this (mind you this is my interpretation of the reasoning and others may have better reasons than what i have just given you - i will certainly be following this up for my own curiosity too)

in relation to your example with the trees and animals shedding their fur, they do not pick up a blade and cut their own leaves/fur off.....they have the ability to do so within themselves. we as humans do not have the natural ability to just shed our hair....we have to pick up a foreign object (in this case a blade/scissors) and cut our hair ourselves. i guess if it was meant for us to cut our hair, God would have given us this ability also. Another thing to think about is the fact that if God intended us to have shorter hair, why wouldn't he create us so that our hair stops growing when it reaches our ears or our shoulders etc (human hair does stop growing after a certain length which varies from person to person. i have never cut my hair and mine comes to just below my knees)

i hope that answered your question

Source(s): me

WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT.. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT.. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT.. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT.. WALLOFTEXT. WALLOFTEXT.

Source(s): Friend, hit the 'enter' button occasionally, it helps us UNDERSTAND you.