Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPerforming Arts · 7 years ago

Music to improvise on...?

Hi so I play the trumpet and I am learning to improvise... I need a song to do it on.... If you know some please help... I dont want to look like a total idiot when my teachers asks me to improvise.....

Favorite Answer

Hi Catherine,

Try "Maiden Voyage" by Herbie Hancock.

Play it using the Dorian scale/mode.

The form is AABA.

Here is the A Section

Am/D | | Am/D | |

Cm/F | | Cm/F | |

Here is the B Section

Bbm/Eb | | Bbm/Eb | |

C#m | | C#m | |

Am/D - use the A dorian scale A,B,C,D,E,F#,G,A (G major scale starting on the 2)

Cm/F - use the C dorian scale C,D,Eb,F,G,A,Bb,C (Bb major scale starting on the 2)

Bbm/Eb - use the Bb dorian scale Bb,C,Db,Eb,F,G,Ab,Bb (Ab major scale starting on the 2)

C#m - use the C# dorian scale C#,D#,E,F#,G#,A#,B,C# (B major scale starting on the 2)

Remember to have fun, relax, and don't play too many notes (a beginner mistake).

.

Source(s): .. Trumpet performer and educator. I got the chords from this site: http://www.learngospelmusic.com/forums/index.php?t...

There is a series of CDs called Music Minus One which are backing tracks specifically designed for exactly what you want; to learn to improvise over songs. They have a website that shows their catalog. They make background tracks for several instruments. These discs come in different keys which are optimized for the specific instrument. As a beginner you will be playing predominantly in flat keys suc as F, Bb and Eb. Get a disc that uses these keys.

There are other companies that make theses types of discs and there are several websites available too. Check with your local music stores. You should also ask your teachers for their recommendations.

Source(s): G.I.T. graduate 35+ years playing/teaching http://www.youtube.com/user/gtarczar