What are your thoughts on doctor assisted suicide?

Are you for or against it? and why?

Favorite Answer

For it.

If I am terminally ill, there is no hope of improvement, I have no quality of life and I am in pain and suffering I would like the ability to be able to put a period on my existence. And I would prefer to have the assistance of a medical profession (to make certain it is done right and so my family doesn't have to be directly involved).

Since I would like the ability to kill myself under those conditions, it seems as though I would be a hypocrite if I opposed physician assisted suicide for others.

• George

I am for it..

But only if the person requesting assistance with suicide is of sound mind to do so.

(ie)

A person who is diagnosed as terminally ill that does not want to become debilitated and suffer a undignified death laying in a nursing home bed.

or

A person whose non-terminal illness like MS will cause them to suffer a greatly diminished quality of life resulting in having to be cared for by a nursing home or home health care workers.

or

A person who needs an organ transplant who does not want to suffer for months and months while they wait for an organ that may never come.

I would prefer a painless peaceful suicide that a doctor could administer compaired to the suffering of any of the above conditions.

I think this is a hard one to answer. I think a lot of people get really desperate at times and want to die in moments of terrible pain or fear and then come to regret it. In other situations, I believe that circumstances are so irreversible that a person's pain and suffering will never end and there is absolutely no reason that we should continue to make this person continue to endure this type of torture, as well as the family who agonize over the hopelessness of the situation. I do not understand why we have such a huge argument about this....poor Dr. Kervorkian. He tried to help people with their suffering. We do better when it comes to euthenizing our pets when their bodies fail them.

1 - Morally bankrupt on principle.

2 & 3 - See #1 above.

I'm for it...if we want to die, then let us die. Simple!

(Unless the person who is doing suicide can't properly make the descision themself, ie: They're mentally damaged)