sean a asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 7 years ago

HIIT/Strength Training Nutrition Advice?

Hey there,

first off im a 16 yr old guy, 5"11, 170 Lbs,

I do a strength training regime with a schwinn comp (bowflex) 3 days a week (monday, wednesday, friday)

and on my off days from that i do HIIT which consists of a 10 minute warm up,

followed by 8 exhausting intervals of 30 second sprints at 7 MPH and 1 minute of fast walking at 4 MPH,

basically my diet is very high in protein, low in carbs, and low in fat,

but theres a twist to that,

on my strength training days i try to get a moderate amount of carbs and minimal fat, while consistently high in protein,

on my HIIT days i may have some carbs and fat early but after I do my HIIT I dont touch any carbs, just lots of protein and a bit of fats (always healthy fats of course)

is this a good idea? basically alternating my diet daily depending on what my body is recovering from?

I drink whey protein daily, 1-2 shakes on HIIT days, and 2-3 shakes on strength training days, I also take creatine and glutamine daily no matter what.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Favorite Answer

First thing I will say is this - your diet should be high in FAT, moderate in protein and low in carbs. The ratio should be ~60% fat, 30% protein and 10% or less carbs from non-starchy vegetables. No grains, no beans, Try to eat organ meats and sea foods every week. This advice assumes you have no allergies. If you have allergies or other medical conditions, seek out a physician that knows what she is talking about WRT nutrition. NMSociety.org can be of help.

This ratio of fats/protein/carbs goes for your training as well. Bonus: Eat or drink a meal after every workout within an hour. Important for better results.

You don't need the creatine or the glutamine if you are eating correctly, At 170 pounds you need ~90-110 grams of protein a day unless you feel you are still growing. At 16 you probably are. You can try to get 170 grams tops. Choose grass-fed, wild caught, free ranging animal products. Ask your parents to help you find these near you.

Now, you haven't stated your goal! Why are you doing so much exercise? If your goal is strength/muscle gain (which it should be), completely ditch the HIIT stuff. It's completely unnecessary and counter-productive. Strength train 2-3 times a week TOPS in a high intensity fashion using slow and controlled repetitions that render total muscle fatigue in 40-90 seconds. Allow 2 days between sessions for adequate recovery. Less is often more. Keep accurate records.

Good resource books:

The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance by Dr. Volek

The Slow Burn Fitness Revolution Drs. Mike and Mary Dan Eades, Fredrick Hahn (me)

Body by Science Dr. Doug McGuff

Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes

Source(s): www.nmsociety.org