What is a Veto in the UN? Simple please?

So in UN there is a thing called veto. I don't get how it works. If there we were voting on something. And say i was Russia and said i don't agree. Would other countries be like you are only one we will proceed or because of my vote they wont proceed? What i am asking is that does everyone have to agree inorder for them to proceed with something.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • DBM
    Lv 4
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Under article 27 of the United Nations Constitution, when the United Nations Security Council votes on a substantive resolution (which basically means deciding a substantial issue, as opposed to a procedural one) 9 of the 15 members must vote in favor for the resolution to pass.

Under the same article, a vote against a resolution by any of the 5 permanent members of the Security Council (United States, United Kingdom, France, China, and Russia) automatically causes that resolution to fail, even if 9 members vote in favor. This means that any permanent member of the security council can veto a resolution (cause it to fail, even if every other member is in favor) simply by voting against it.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • lare
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

The important actions of the UN are done in the "Security Council". There are 15 members, 5 of which are permanent and have veto power. permanent members are China, Russia, France, UK and USA.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.