Why do we use plastic water bottles?

I am doing a presentation on plastic water bottles and I need some reasons for why we use them. For example: convenience, or that for some people it is safer than tap water.

Favorite Answer

bottled water is popular for one reason and one reason only; GREAT marketing by the companies that bottle it.

It IS tap water, run through a filter to remove the chlorine taste.

Research a bit.

Municipal water treatment plants have more stringent laws about water purity than water bottling companies.

This is the BIGGEST travesty and case of people being stupid in the whole world.

Did you know that is some states, lakes have been drained to sell bottled water, compromising agriculture and ruining local water sources, all so rich people can carry around a bottle of water instead of filling a cup from their own tap.

It's a shame we can't get cans of water - that would be cool, wouldn't it?

Back in the day, the first water packaged in bottles was spring water. This was water that was bottled from natural springs that produced a crisp, clean water that contained some natural minerals based on its location. Later, probably around the 90's, people started buying a lot of bottled water. Partially it was convenience, partly for health reasons as an alternative to sugary drinks. Also some thought it tasted better. So then the big companies that bottle soft drinks - your Coke's and Pepsis - realized they were sitting no a gold mine. They bottle soda which is just water with carbonation and flavor. Imagine the profits they could turn if they sold JUST the water, in the same bottles, for the same price. Now you have Aquafina and Dasani (plus a few other off shoots). This isn't spring water - this is essentially tap water, taken from municipal water supply wherever the bottling plant is, and basically running it through a giant Brita water filter.

I doubt many people really drink it as a safety precaution except in cases where their tap water is compromised. For me, we live in a country with the safest, most readily available, infinite supply of fresh, clean, drinking water straight from the tap. That's what I drink.

I think plastic water bottles safe water from bacteria. And plastic bottles use easily.