Why did my tire pop almost out of nowhere?

I was driving down the street for no more than 5 minutes, when I pulled out of my driveway I heard a loud clunking sound. I wrote it off as something was stuck under the bumper i.e Snow etc. as I continue driving, I look in my rear-view mirror and see smoke/ steam coming from the tire (I believe it was smoke because it smelt of rubber or oil. I am unsure.) I immidetly turn around to drive back home... & BOOM. I pulled over to see what it was and my tire was 100% flat. earlier that day it was totally full. Now Im totally f*cked and need to know what happened and what to do. Thank you so much for your replys.

Favorite Answer

next time when you hear something loud or not normal stop and check what's going on, u might ran over child. and u say "I wrote it off as something was stuck under the bumper" and u didn't even bother to take few seconds to see what's going on.

now tires do pop out and blow it's common. replace it and move on. it looks like your tire is old or drove on something sharp this time.

You blew a tire and then drove it til it was shredded...what was the question? Anything could've caused it. Put your spare on and drive slow and careful til you can buy a new tire. It happens, tires aren't invincible. Going forward, clean the snow and ice out of your wheel wells as often as necessary. It was smoke you saw, from the burning rubber you smelled.