What do basketball arm sleeves do?

I love to play basketball but I don't know exactly what their purpose is

Favorite Answer

Well if your arm is hurt or feels pressured, it heats up your arm. It's like the reason why if your leg hurts you hold your leg w/ your hand. Or like putting an ice pack to your bruise leg or so. It helps you get comfortable.

It also helps your weak arm shoot farther and gain more strength. I wore knee-pads and it help me run faster.

EDIT: Knee pads tight your leg and push your blood pressure to jump and run faster. If you arm wrestle someone and hold your wrist... it tightens up your blood and makes you a bit tougher.

And no it's not there too look cool...

well theyre advertised to

-warm up the arm/elbow which allows players to play with a sore arm, elbow, etc and to reduce injury

-straighten form, they tighten the arm a bit and force you to shoot with your elbow in

-look cool, yes they make you look a bit more professional because theyve been popularized first by A.I and now just about every scorer wears them

in reality they wont make you shoot like jesus shuttleworth. in my opinion they do very little.

n.b. if you wear a shooting sleeve to a pick-up game i will never pick you because the guy who shows up in chucks and i white tee is almost guaranteed to be 10x better than the guy with new lebron x's shooting sleeves and the whole sweatbands get-up.

so unless youre kobe leave the sleeves at home

• yeah what the people above me said.but most nba players do it to look cool. carmelo wheres it on both arms and no doubt it looks fresh but i think it makes your shot a little more awkward.

for style

make them look cooler