Do college teachers really read papers?

In class today I overheard a conversation that most college teachers don't read past the first page. I'm starting to believe it to be true because I don't understand how I get good grades sometimes when I know what I wrote was complete crap.

Favorite Answer

That is sometimes true in a freshman composition class. I used to return papers to students with one or two paragraphs marked up. Then they had a chance to revise, and to apply the feedback I'd given them to the whole paper. But if it's a literary analysis paper or a research paper, I guarantee that most teachers read every word.

• George

In my experience, yes. I know this because I have taken many college courses, both at the community college level--as well as the university level, in which papers are handed back every time in each course to ALL students who happen to be attending class the day papers are returned.

In these instances, I have seen many comments on many students' papers--not merely a grade.

I have seen some students, even those who consistent get A's and A plus grades, get very thorough written comments on their papers---including on the margins of multiple paragraphs. Some instructors/professors have a reputation of providing comments/feedback consistently for every single student. Even on the "A plus" papers, the comments might not be "criticism/suggestions for improvement, but actually hand-written comments in red ink discussing what was written and exploring the ideas, etc.

Furthermore, the larger public universities, some professors have TA's (teaching assistants, or graduates students working on their PhD's who are hired for rather low-pay by the university to teach/lead discussion sections of courses and sometimes/often grade certain assignments/exams) often do read the entire assignment.

I do not agree with you at all. I believe that college teachers read paper. They go through the papers and if necessary they make comment.