How can I manage my money for groceries?

I'm a sophomore in college and I'm having a hard time managing my money. My freshman year I had a meal plan in order to eat at the campus' caf. But the food's really bad and also this year, none of my friends eat there (They just go grocery shopping and make their own food) I didn't have to worry about food last year because it was already taken care of. But this Fall I took it upon myself not to get a meal plan with the money that my parents gave me and kept it to buy food myself. But I'm terrible at it. I just spend it on random things online, eat junk food from the vending machines, or buy meals like subway which in the long run is pricey. Plus when I go grocery shopping I have no have no idea what to buy and what I do buy never last me more than a week. Please help, What should I do? I want to do this right next semester.

Also, approximately how much money should I ask my parents for food from January-April?

• Jill
    Favorite Answer

Quit pissing it away on everything other than groceries. Common sense would dictate that you buy whatever type of groceries you like. Ask your parents to give you however much you'll need for 4 months of groceries, and be grateful for whatever they give you.

Source(s): common sense

I find it incredibly hard to believe that a 19 year old adult can't walk through a grocery store and find food they want to eat.

Do you cook at all? If you don't you need to start. Even if you can't figure out how to cook a meal you should at least be preparing your own meals at home. That money you spend at Subway for one sandwich could feed you for a week on lunch meat, cheese a loaf of bread and a bag of chips.

The first thing you need to do is understand that money you have set aside is for food, not online shopping and not vending machine junk. You need to break the vending machine and fast food habit. It's a bad habit to get into and it isn't healthy.

Set a plan. Do it on paper. Write down a menu for a week, each day, breakfast, lunch and dinner. This is what I'm eating. Go shopping, buy the food and stick to the plan. If you eat it all in 3 days then you get to starve for the next 4 days. You'll figure it out soon enough because only a complete fool would starve themselves.

Start by making a budget and a basic grocery list

Budget approx. $40 per week for one person

Your grcoery list should include

fresh fruits and vegetables,bananas are an almost perfect food

cereal

milk

bread,

peanut butter

jelly

eggs

oatmeal (if you like it, it's one of the cheapest most nutritious foods on the market) no instant, one minute cooking is better

Complete pancake mix

syrup

nuts

sandwich meats

cheap cuts of beef

margarine

canned soup

Shop the grocery store circular and build your meals by what's on sale.

Stay away from:

premade, frozen foods except vegetables, as these are expensive, and not very healthy

prepackaged foods are often high in salt and sugar

if you use a lot of something such as milk, buy the gallon or larger package of an item you use a lot of

Here's a website that might help you get started,

http://www.mnsu.edu/shs/healtheducation/bmc/

Also check out websites that have frugal/cheap recipes to help you stretch your food dollars.

TipHero.com Does your college have a extension office, contact them and see what they have for

ideas and recipes. Hope this has helped you.

get a job.

• DeAnne

A single person should be able to buy a week's worth of food for under $100.

Stop buying stuff online and stop eating junk food.

If you can't afford meat, other protein sources are: cottage cheese, beans,

split peas, tofu... A good, cheap food plan would be:

Breakfast: low fat milk on cooked 9-grain cereal (buy it in bulk from health food store), mixed with cooked oatmeal and wheat bran. Add some nuts, raisins, craisins and berries. Drink hot Ovaltine.

Lunch: Egg, tuna or turkey sandwich on whole grain bread with bean or alfalfa sprouts and yogurt w/fruit. If you had meat loaf for dinner, bring a meat loaf sandwich (NO mayo). On cold days, a squatty thermos of hot chili, split peas with ham or beef stew.

Snacks: Fresh (not canned) fruit: banana, orange, apple, kiwi, grapes, peach, nectarine, cherries, pineapple.. Protein powder shake with banana and yogurt.

Dinner: Caesar salad with white meat chicken, tomatoes, lettuce, shredded cabbage, shredded cheese, shredded or sliced carrots and zucchini, hard boiled eggs, brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, tofu, cottage cheese...

Instead of salad dressing, squeeze 1/4 tomato over it or some lemon juice or mash some avocado with tomato juice.

Or omelet: In blender, whip together eggs, tofu, cottage cheese, onions, garlic powder. Cook with mushrooms, chopped tomatoes. Top w/cheese.

Foods to avoid: pastries, desserts, sugar, salty foods, syrup (even canned fruit in syrup), peanut butter, pork (wieners, chops, bacon), potatoes, white bread, rice, pasta, canned veggies, ice cream, oily foods, soda, coffee...And of course no tobacco or alcohol in any form. Both of those add wrinkles and destroy your organs. No oil except olive and mac nut.

To keep your skin clear, drink water. Veg. juice is good too. But not canned juice (too much sugar.)

That was an excellent answer.

You don't know how many people I see at grocery stores taking money out of an envelope.

Everytime you get paid you take money and put it in there.

Ex: 20% of your income on food).

Quit smoking pot

Over ask and set aside those funds in an envelope marked FOOD and don't touch it until you really need it.

• nancie

coping with your money, i have self belief, comes right down to they way you imagine about money. in case you view money as despensible and don't have a frugal or saving mind-set, then you definately will see the money only fly out of your account. in spite of the undeniable fact that, you'll see slightly more desirable each and each month in case you quite start up to pay interest on the position you're money is going. for me, the first step replaced into quitting smoking. when I give up smoking i realized that i had SOOO a lot more desirable money than i even realized! those $3-4 purchases on an accepted foundation quite upload up. i replaced into spending round $2 hundred/month on ciggarettes, on my own. that's $2,400/3 hundred and sixty 5 days!!! YIKES. so, give up any undesirable habit you've....in case you want incentive, then sit and verify out how a lot that is costing you in preserving with 3 hundred and sixty 5 days and then ether detect a better/smarter thanks to do it, or only give up! like, ingesting. in case you opt to flow out to the bars on the weekend, attempt having friends BYOB at your position anhour or 2 beforehand hitting the bar. that is plenty more low-cost to drink a 6 %. at abode and then pay for some beverages on the bar, than an pretty large bar tab. next, evaluate your purchases beforehand you hit the registers. celebration: my husband is going to the gasoline station virtually accepted and buys a 20oz soda. if he stopped for a second and realized, "whats up, if i purchase a pair 2 liters and take a bottle of soda to paintings with me, then i visit save it in the refrigerator there and save a TON of money!" fairly he spends over $a million/day on 20oz. sodas, each and every each and every now and then procuring 2-3 in preserving with day. a 2 liter at walmart is below $a million, many times. he would not understand this. so, beforehand you purchase those new 'whatevers', give up and picture! do you want it? are you able to flow with out it? as an celebration: a hand mixer works only high quality, despite the undeniable fact that that huge kitchen-help artisan mixer is tempting, i know that i do not mix that a lot and that i quite do not favor it! in case you start up by technique of doing those issues, then you definately will finally end up with some more desirable money and then you'll start up looking into funding ideas. like travelling your economic business organisation and discussing what opportunities will be top for you. take care!