Cindy Grenier asked in PetsCats · 8 years ago

How will the vets calm my cat down?

My 9 year old cat was brought to the vet when he was 6 months to get fixed and this was the last time I brought him in. I don't get him vaccinated since he's an indoor cat. Since becoming an adult, he's become a lot more grumpy. I want to start bringing him for yearly check ups since he's now a senior and he definitely needs his teeth cleaned. The problem is that he goes nuts when he's scared. If I put him in his carrier, he'll thrash his body around in there....hiss, growl and try to scratch. How do they handle this? Physical force? I know he'll come out of that cage completely wild at the vets office. I'm scared he'll be scarred for life and hold a grudge with me.

• J C
    Favorite Answer

He really does need to see the vet, especially if he needs dental work. Neglecting the teeth is a good way to shorten his life (dental disease pours bacteria into the system and harms the kidneys and heart, just like in humans). And a 9 year old cat is NOT too old for anesthesia.

I'd suggest calling the vet you are planning on using, and explaining the situation. They truly are used to handling cats who have fear aggression at the vet. They have cat sacks, muzzles, and bite gloves, and in really extreme cases they can give you a sedative to take the edge off the cat prior to bringing him in. In the meantime, you can "desensitize" him to the carrier by bringing it into your family room, and just leaving it there for a few days. Then open the door. After a few days of that, put some treats in there, or his food. It often works very well with cats. Putting a towel or blanket over the carrier when he's in there for his trip can help also, as can Feliway spray.

He won't hold a grudge! He'll actually be very happy to get home and out of the carrier. My sweet little seal point female turns into the "cat from hell" at the vet. They know this, and deal with her. She snaps, snarls, and pees on the table and vet techs :( We've discovered that covering her head with a blanket helps calm her and makes the visit less stressful for everyone. She is back to her normal self within 30 seconds of getting home. Yours will too.

Source(s): many years of cat rescue

No people meds! It's not safe. I have a cat that was the same way at first when we tried trimming his claws - here's what we did. The B/F held him (firmly, but not hurting), in his lap while I clipped. After each paw (each toe at first), he got a treat for the trouble. He yowled like crazy for the first several times we did it, but as he got used to it (especially the treats) he calmed down. The other thing is to break her into it gradually - start with just he front paws. After she gets more used to the handling, the clipping, and the all-important bribery, you can start to work on her rear claws. good luck - you'll be fine with treats & praise & patience!! And thank you for giving her a good home!

Depends on a vet really. But don't let that put you off taking him to the vet. Vet will either use gloves and a special bag kind of thing ( they put him in there and he cant move) or give him a really mild sedative. Just warn the vet beforehand.

You would be surprised how many cats are like that. My older cat was so bad that vet told us he never in his 20 years of working with cats seen such a vicious cat. Even when she was so weak that she couldn't stand she fought. He might be angry at you for a bit but good thing with animals is they forgive fast. He will be scared but in my opinion at his age its good idea to take him for regular check ups. And if has no issues they really fast and painless. For tooth cleaning he will need total anesthesia and at his age I am not sure how good idea that is. I wouldn't put him under general anesthesia unless you really really have to, but vet will know better. Its just my opinion.

Good luck:)

a lot of cast don;t liek to travel I knwo my cats don;t and whne they go in acarrir they make strange moewing sound sthat soudn liek mama and mama let me out. the fact s once he is out and has a minute he'll clam down but thuink about it. if ahuman were stuffing you in a small enclosed space and you didn;t wanna go woudl you be happy. we know that this is safe for them but they dn;t understand that. he'll be ok it i somathing you have to deal with. and it is only oncea year so you aren't giving hism turma he won;t be in it enough to do any damage. On teh vaccinaitions even indoor cast need them. Yes an indoor cat has a less chance of catching or contracting something but peopel gring in things all the tome better safe then sorry

For the teeth, there is this stuff called TropiClean that does an amazing job, at least on dogs. Our 11 yo dogs teeth were nasty looking - we put this Tropiclean stuff on them at night and after a couple weeks the teeth are sparkly clean. Doesn't seem to bother the dog. Not sure if it's ok for cats though.

Certainly not traumatic for the animal.

depends on the vet but most are very gentle because they know the owners want it that way

Source(s): our vet