Nutrition Help!!!, % DV?

I am completing an assignment for my nutrition class and I have figured out everything else on the sheet except for two things.

So we are given a nutrition fact list and they are listed in % DV and we have to turn them into the nutrient amount. My issues are with Vitamin A & D.

For Vitamin A, there is 10% and I can not seem to figure out how to get it into RE

For Vitamin D, there is 40% and we just need to change it into nutrient amount. For DV of vitamin D = 200 IU or 5 ug

If someone can help me out with how to do these please :)

Best Answer

The Percent Daily Value on the Nutrition Facts label is a guide to the nutrients in one serving of food. For example, if the label lists 15 percent for calcium, it means that one serving provides 15 percent of the calcium you need each day.International Units of Vitamin A

The vitamin-A content of a food is sometimes measured in International Units (IU) and at other times in "micrograms of retinol equivalents," or "micrograms RE." There is no direct comparison between an IU and a microgram RE, but you can get a crude estimate if you know whether the food is of animal or plant origin.

Reading a food label for vitamin D content can be simple:

1. Look for the Nutrition Facts Panel on the food label below.

2. Find the serving size:

For example: Serving size is 8 fluid ounces

3. Find the %DV for vitamin D (per serving).

For example: vitamin D is 25%

4. Multiply the vitamin D (%DV per serving) x 4 to find IU per serving:

For example: 25% x 4 =100 IU vitamin D in 8 ounces

· To convert IUs of vitamin A into micrograms RE: multiply the number of IUs by 0.1 if the food is of plant origin, by 0.2 if it's of animal origin. The result is the approximate number of micrograms RE in the food.

· To convert micrograms RE to IUs: multiply the micrograms RE by ten for a food of plant origin, by five for a food of animal origin. The result is the approximate number of IUs in the food.

In the case of vitamin A supplements, the conversion may be more precise. First, check the label to see which source of vitamin A the supplement contains. Then:

· If the source is retinol: multiply the number of IUs by 0.3 to get the number of micrograms RE, or multiply the number of micrograms RE by 3.3 to get the number of IUs.

· If the source is beta-carotene: multiply the number of IUs by 0.025 to get the number of micrograms RE, or multiply the number of micrograms RE by 39.6 to get the number of IUs.

(Some supplements may contain both sources. If the label specifies an amount for each, do the math for each and add the two together.)