Is an upgrade to windows 8 necessary?

I am not one of those people who hate windows 8. However, I don't really want to take the time to relearn the entire windows interface just yet, as I am often stretched for time and would like a familiar system to work with for the time being. That being said, will new programs, games, and all the new computer software become incompatible with my PC if I opt for windows 7? The PC I am looking at has the option of windows 7 or 8, so I need this answer to help me with my decision. What about new hardware? My computer has good specs, but will it fall behind all the windows 8 designed computers for some unforeseen reason?

Favorite Answer

Windows 8 didn't make Windows 7 immedeatly obsolete so you'll be just fine without it for a good long while. Even if you do decided to go with Windows 8 the interface hasn't changed all that dramatically. It's nearly identical to 7 except for the start menu and it's actually easy to get around the start screen. It's just a grid of icons after all. You've already been dealing with those for years. :-)

I gotta book you can read if you decided to go with Windows 8 and want to give the start screen a try.

http://marketing.dell.com/windows-8-ebook

It's totally possible to have Windows 8 and a familiar start menu too. Just download a start menu replacement like Start8. It's $5 but it restores a Windows 7-style start menu and it even lets you bypass the start screen and go directly to the desktop when your PC starts.

So if you're unsure then stick with 7 but if you want to try something a little different give 8 a try. If you don't like it patch in a start menu replacement and you'll be good to go.

- Dominic

• Jim P

I intend sticking with Win 7 Pro meantime.

Like many I'm tempted, but from previous experience of ANY new OS, I will leave it others to discover the .... 'glitches'

My Win 7 Pro works flawlessly, and if it's NOT broken (or giving me any issues) why should I replace or fix it??

Remember, quite a number of people are still content using XP, which is practically 12 years old now!!

• D McC

i would recommend you stay with windows 7 for as long as you can, it is a great, fast system that is compatible with everything, there are still things that are not compatible with win8. for myself i will be sticking with win7 for as long as i can, i found the new system was not nice, especially without a touch screen, win8 was primarily designed for touch screen devices and if you have touch i would say win8 would be better, thats not taking into account of any incompatibilities

• DrDave

I personally wouldn't use 8 until they got the bugs out which usually takes a couple years. The people who buy it first are merely test subjects.