How long does Futureshop computer services take?

I realize there is no cut and dry answer to this question, but approximations and past experiences could help.

I'm useless with computers and don't know anyone who can fix mine for me. So, I'm taking my laptop to the Futureshop in town to see what they can do with it. It's probably an issue with the hard drive -- lots of bluescreening when it hibernates and when it shuts down.

When I called the guys there I asked them if they could give me an approximate time frame that my laptop would be with them and out of my use. The guy didn't want to give me a number of days in case he was wrong, but he said it shouldn't take "too long" if it was a hard drive issue. I'm a student and can't afford to have my laptop out of use for more than a couple days. Plenty of research and assignments that need to be completed on there.

So, does anyone have an idea? Or has anyone had a similar problem that they turned to Futureshop for?

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Well we sent a system back to Futureshop under warranty and it took a month (4 weeks) to have it supposedly fixed. They actually did not cure the problem fully so it still has issues but we performed a work around that works for the most part. They kept making excuses for why it was taking so long as they originally stated a week. It would have been nice if they had just told us the truth for the delay instead of making up stories as the ones they told us were unreal.

Find yourself an independent computer store with a decent tech department and take it there. You'll probably get better and faster service and no BS, or find a guy that sells to businesses and does repairs as these guys have to perform or lose business. There are lots of good techs out there just a matter of finding them. Look online, in telephone books and ask online (local online forum) and in person others in your area who they recommend.

Future Shop Computer Services

Possible that they didn't bother to do this... open up the box and check to make sure the CPU fan and heatsink are clear of any dust or lint... this is the type of thing that will cause a computer to freeze up. And, no way it should ever cost $400-$500 to replace a CPU, that kind of money will get you the CPU, motherboard and RAM... installed.