How does the term "bolt" have so many diverse meanings?

I've counted 5 meanings so far, none of which seem to be related:

1) lightning bolt

2) bolt on a door or a machine

3) bolt of cloth

4) run away really quickly

How can all these meanings come from a common root?

Update:

Oops! I forgot one of my examples:

5) To gobble down your food-- bolt it down

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Cindy
    Lv 4
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Hi Joy,

I did some web surfing for you trying to answer your question, and I was surprised and even a little confused. The best I can make out is that the word has come together from three different root words: one from Old English; one from old French; and the last an old German word. They all sounded very similar and for the most part had similar meanings.

The web page I've linked below has a list of over 15 - 20 meanings!!! Talk about confusing.

Hope this helps.

• 8 years ago

That's only four, and I don't think it's too much of a stretch to see that a lightning bolt and the bolt on a door could have a similar root. And anyway, just because words are spelled alike doesn't necessarily mean they came from the same root.

How about the word fly? As a noun, it can mean an insect or part of a pair of pants. As a verb, it means to move through the air. As an adjective, it means sly or knowing. Those are only some of its uses and we won't even get into the part of a theatre stage known as "the flies".

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Our language is just weird, I'm kidding. We adopt definitions from different origins, bolt has definitions from french, middle english, german, etc.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.