Eric asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 7 years ago

Is upgrading to Windows 8 worthwhile?

I have a Windows Vista computer and I want to know if I should upgrade to 8. I've asked some computer savvy friends and they all retort with, "Anything is better than Vista."

I also do have the money, so can I easily afford to purchase the OS (originally I thought it'd be expensive as hell!).

Mainly, I want to know the key differences and if there are any significant improvements to consider. I understand that they removed the DVD playback codec from Windows 8, which wasn't too exciting...I also don't have a touch-screen monitor, which presumably can mar the Windows 8 experience a bit.

@Peter Zhu

It stated on the Microsoft website that all compatible files and settings could be synced over to Windows 8 from XP, Vista or 7.

Also, I have tried Windows 8 and I found it intuitive and complete with a variety of functions and more. I honestly don't think I'll be needing a touchscreen very much, as it'll be annoying having to transition my hands from the screen back to my mouse/keyboard. After using it for a while at my friend's place, I also did not find the controls difficult nor confusing to use, especially since the Start Screen is basically a blown-up Start menu with added gadgets, utilities and personalization.

Favorite Answer

Windows 8 is faster, smaller, and simpler than Vista (but so is Windows 7 - but Windows 8 even more so).

Windows 8 also has a totally different user interface that's designed to work really well on touchscreen tablets, although the old desktop mode is still there for "classic" Windows programs.

A lot of people don't like that the Start button is gone in Windows 8, but there are 3rd party utilities that bring it back, for instance Start 8.

And that cool new UI is really only enjoyable with a touch screen.

So my recommendation would be yes get Windows 8, but prepare to find the UI annoying, and have to also get a utility that modifies it to work a little more like the familiar Windows 7 (which is similar to Windows Vista UI too).

It depends on your preference of the classic style Windows setup or the new tiled design of the Windows 8 home page. I have Windows 7 and I'm not planning on upgrading. From what I've seen of the new operating system it's obvious that it was designed for touch screen monitors. With a touch screen monitor it would be cool (it would work like a big smart phone) but with a standard computer you might not like it.

I would try it out before upgrading just due to the fact that the feel of it is alot different.

Windows 8 was a desperate move from Microsoft to drop the ipad sales. Ignore it, not only there is nothing special on it for a regular computer,its confusing and annoying.

I can't think of one reason to do that.

It's expensive. It does nothing that any other os doesn't. The design is ugly and very poorly thought out in the opinion of many who've reviewed it. And I don't doubt for a minute that it requires more hard drive space and more memory and more cpu power just to run it.

I wouldn't waste my time or money.

Windows 8 is faster, but it will take a while to get used to because of the major changes. You will not be able to keep your programs when you upgrade.

Source(s): Pro IT Guy

yea it does. i used this thing man, it was awesome. It might take u a while to get used to it