Mags
Mags asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 8 years ago

For people that had preeclampsia did you know before the doctor told you what were some of your symptoms?

At first they thought I might have problems due to fatty liver but when I saw the liver specialist yesterday he said it normally gets agitated when you gain a lot of weight throughout pregnancy. I have only lost weight I informed him of this. I then told him about my funny blood pressure problems when I stand and walk around or do anything it skyrockets high. When I'm sitting for a while it gets to a very

normal blood pressure result or just A slight high.

This is my second pregnancy I had high blood pressure with the first I never felt anything when I had high blood pressure. This time I feel completely exhausted like it's hard to blow dry my hair or hard to do some vacuuming around the house.. I am on blood pressure medication just a mild dose I see my doctor tomorrow. The liver doctor thinks I have the beginning of preeclampsia. Wanted to know some personal stories of how you came to be diagnosed with us. Any stories are great help!

Favorite Answer

Usually with preeclampsia your blood pressure is consistently high. I had it with my first and expected it with my second. I had some symptoms with the second but when my bp returned to normal I was discharged every time. I was sent to labor and delivery 3 times. Anyway with my first I did not know but I was only 19 and knew nothing of pregnancy. I had weight gain of 2 or more pounds per week. That was the first symptom. Then I had high blood pressure. I don't remember what my bp was at the time it was 12 years ago but with preeclampsia the high bp symptom is defined as a bp of over 140/90 for 2 consecutive bp readings taken more that 6 hours apart but less than 7 days apart. My third symptom was edema. My feet and ankles were swollen with fluid especially my toes. The last symptom and the one that brought me into the hospital to be induced 11 days before my due date was pain in my side right under my right breast but on the side that radiated across my diaphragm. It ended in an emergency c-section after 10 hours of labor. There is a high rate of c-section with induction. My second pregnancy around 34 weeks my bp started regularly hovering around 130/80 but always came back down with a couple hours of bed rest. I had swelling in my feet and ankles but not bad. My weight gain was normal 1-2 pounds but I had lost 22 pounds in the first trimester and the day of delivery I was only 6 pounds above my pre pregnant weight. At 36 weeks I had the pain right after eating. In fact I had the pain EVERY time I ate. I was tested for preeclampsia (24 hour urine collection and a blood test). I was also given an ultrasound for gall stones. Everything came back negative. I had a c-section at exactly 39 weeks (it was scheduled because of the previous c-section and the thought of uterine rupture during VBAC frightened my spouse). They never did find out what caused my symptoms and they resolved within hours of delivery. It is suspected that my son's feet were agitating my liver and gall bladder causing false gall bladder symptoms (which are very similar to preeclampsia). Hope this helps. Feel better soon. Btw my second baby is only a month old :-)

Often, women who have preeclampsia do not feel sick. Symptoms of preeclampsia can include: •Swelling of the hands and face/eyes (edema) •Sudden weight gain over 1-2 days, more than 2 pounds a week Note: Some swelling of the feet and ankles is considered normal during pregnancy. Symptoms of severe preeclampsia include: •Headache that does not go away •Belly pain on the right side, below the ribs. Pain may also be felt in the right shoulder, and can be confused with heartburn, gallbladder pain, a stomach virus, or the baby kicking •Irritability •Decreased urine output, not urinating very often •Nausea and vomiting (worrisome sign) •Vision changes, including temporary blindness, seeing flashing lights or spots, sensitivity to light, and blurry vision The doctor will perform a physical exam. This may show: •High blood pressure, usually higher than 140/90 mm/Hg •Swelling in the hands and face •Weight gain Blood and urine tests will be done. This may show: •Protein in the urine (proteinuria) •Higher-than-normal liver enzymes •Platelet count less than 100,000 (thrombocytopenia) Tests will also be done to: •See how well your blood clots •Monitor the baby's health i hope thiese info helped but dont worry not because you have some of the symptoms means that you have preeclampsia it could be nothing really but your doctor has to take a urine sample to check for protien its very important good luck and best wishes :)