Anyone familier with steam?

Alright so I am planning to use steam for the first time but I have some questions.

Do I need to install steam or can I just stick to using the website?

I dont have a cradit card and my parents wont buy it for me so is there any way I can pay without the need of a credit card?

Are all the games on their in good condition or is there a chance I will come across a cracked version or missing game files?

Lastly, is the service entirly free(apart from the games), or is there a pro version?

Favorite Answer

1) You need to install Steam

2) No credit card is needed. You can purchase Steam Wallet Cards in increments of $20 and $50 at Game Stop and possibly other retailers.

3) You'll be good 90% of the time. Every now and then you may download a corrupted game and will have to re-install it or wait for Steam to patch it.

4) The service locks some features (such as sending Friend Invites) until you make your first purchase. As soon as you buy something (any price), you will have access to everything Steam has to offer.

Additional Note:

I should warn you that Steam tends to lock up a lot. You will get plenty of "Steam is not responding" messages. However, you will very rarely have to kill the program. 95% of the time Steam will start responding again on it's own, so just give it some time. Don't kill the process every time it locks up.

1. You need to download the steam client to be able to play games.

2. You must have a valid credit card to buy games on Steam.

3. All games are new - just as if you bought one from your local shop, just without the CD. You will download all files from the Steam sever, and they will automatically be validated.

4. Steam is free of use, there exists no pro version.

Actually Arne is wrong about number 2, you can buy steam cards from places like gamestop, walmart etc. they are ranging from usually 5 dollars to 20