WHAT WAS THIS NOISE? and what should I do about it?

I got woken up to this huge noise that was vibrating the entire floor and walls. I never heard anything like it. After about 15mins, I went downstairs to see if I could find the problem it wasnt the furnace or boiler and wasn't coming from the laundry room, I turned off and on everything for the breaker of the house. This went on for maybe 45 mins then it stopped?

It was coming from the basement but when I went downstairs it sounded like it was coming from the ceiling but louder. I'm worried it could have been something electrical that could have potentially started a fire. Should I call 911 or have a house inspector come in the AM? Could it be serious? HELP! I'm really scared and anxious, can't sleep.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Droopy
    Lv 5
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If your boiler is a steam boiler it could have to much water in it. When they over fill it sounds like someone is hitting metal pipes with a hammer.

• Login to reply the answers
  • elhigh
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Sounds like an earthquake and a few aftershocks to me.

Do you live in BC? Check it out: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/sto...

• 7 years ago

wow were do you live? check the news for recent sismic activity.it could also be plumbing in between floors.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

I would call the police, especially if you can't sleep.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.