What food category is...?

What food category is whipped cream? I am doing a school project and I have to fill in the servings for each part of the meal. I was going to put whipped cream (cool whip) under dairy, but I was not sure not sure if you can actually consider whipped cream as one of your dairy (milk/alt.) servings.

The 5 categories that I am allowed to use are grains, vegetables & fruits, milk/alt. , meat/alt. and other. I wasn't sure if I should place it under 'other' or 'milk/alt'.

If it is under milk/alt. what would the serving size for 3 tbsp be considered?

Favorite Answer

i would consider it as junk food or empty calories since it has no nutrition value

Technically it is dairy because cream is dairy. But if you look at a food guide, 1 serving of dairy is anywhere from 1 cup to 2 cups...and you definitely should not consume cream or whipped cream in that amount. A typical amount of whipped cream (a few spoonfuls) would not be a full serving, so I would not count it.

The Canada food guide puts cream in with 'milk and alternatives' BUT warns to limit its use due to high fat content.

Source(s): www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/food-guide-aliment/choose-choix/milk-lait/tips-trucs-eng.php

Cool whip is non-dairy so it just goes in the "Fats" category. Whipping cream such as RediWip is a dairy product because it actually contains milk/cream. Cool Whip is just whipped oil.

Milk

• Jindu

Dairy product