If I major in english can I be an english teacher?

Would there be a certain course I would have to take? And, likewise in creative writing. If I major in it can I teach creative writing? Extra school or...something else I would need to do? BEST ANSWER 10 POINTS!

Favorite Answer

You have to look at the state you live in. In the state I live in you MUST major in the subject you plan to teach and take extra leadership courses. In some states you can major in general education, secondary education, elementary education...etc...and then take courses that pertain to the subject you plan on teaching. Look into applying to schools that have good education programs....many have a 5-year masters degree program that I am considering as well. You're out and have a masters degree in 5 years instead of getting your undergrad in 4 years plus 2 years for your masters. To find out the answer to your question is to go online and check the schools education program (if they have one) and see if you have to major in what you want to teach or if you can major in just education.

Don't know what country you're in, but in North America you'd need a teaching degree. Perhaps a Master's or PhD would qualify you as well, but check into the specifications for your state/province/country and you'll find out easily enough.