Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Local BusinessesCanadaOther - Canada · 8 years ago

What do you need to become an event planner?

I am thinking about becoming an event planner and I was just wondering if anyone had any information.

What all would an event planner have to do.

What courses you would need or would be beneficial.

Basically any information that may be helpful in making a decision - positive or negative

I was also wondering if anyone had any advice on how to get a local company to allow me an opportunity to job shadow to see if its something I would like to do - on my own or as part of a company.

Thanks in advance.

Favorite Answer

Instructions

1

Figure out what you are good at when it comes to party planning. This can be weddings, corporate events, birthday parties or any number of other events that need planning.

2

Calculate what your startup costs are. This can be small to large, depending on what services you want to offer your clients.

3

Gain some experience in event planning by getting some certificates and taking classes marketing, accounting and sales.

4

Market yourself as a businessperson to everyone you intend to work with, even though you don't. You want to appear professional in every situation so people want to hire you for the job. This includes email and phone calls.

5

Pass out business cards with your contact information, logo and tagline to as many people as possible.

6

Develop a website that lets your potential clients know what you offer. Optimize your site for search engines as well. The higher up in the search engines, the more hits you get, the more people look through your site and the more likely someone hires you.

7

Create a portfolio with past projects, including personal ones, so people can see your work.