ipek asked in HealthMental Health · 8 years ago

I have Major Depression, GAD and Panic Disorder and I am looking for a psychiatric service dog to help me.?

If anyone has experience can you give me advice and where to get one? I am thinking of training my own dog when I get one.

Favorite Answer

First you must be legally disabled under ADA standards to have a service dog. With psychiatric disabilities the qualifications are even more stringent. Your mental condition would have to be so severely disabling on a daily basis, even with the use of medication, to qualify as a disability.

According to the ADA and the NIMH: " It is not enough to have a mental illness to qualify as a person with a disability under the ADA. According to the NIMH, 26.2% of adults in the U.S. suffer from a mental illness in any given year, but only 6% are severely mentally ill. So more than three quarters of those with a diagnosed mental illness are not disabled by that illness and would not qualify to use a service animal even if they would benefit from one."

Second, a service dog must perform a trained task, that the disabled handler cannot perform themselves, that mitigates the handlers disability.What trained task would the dog perform if your disorders were determined to be severe enough to be disabilities? Comfort, hugging, emotional support are NOT qualifiable trainable tasks. 

Service dogs aren't a cure all for everything. What you may want to do is get a pet dog. Adopt one that needs a friend. Start taking it on walks. As soon as you can manage that without difficulty, enroll him in an obedience class. Having adopted the dog, he'll be your friend for life.

Source(s): Service dog owner/handler and ADA service dog law violation investigator

I'm sorry I don't have an answer but a question you can get a service dog for that?????????