jeep 4x4 on highways?

So I've been looking at a 2007 jeep compass 4x4 and I was wondering if its possible to drive it in 4x4 on the highway? I do a lot of highway driving every weekend to get to the ski hill and currently am driving a fwd audi that does not feel very safe on the snowy highways.

my other option is a awd subaru legacy and an awd dodge magnum but i would prefer the jeep if i am able to use the 4x4 option

thanks in advance

Favorite Answer

Deersrus,

The 2007 Compass 4x4 has a type of AWD system in being that with the CVT transmission, there is a viscous-coupler that acts like a transfer case. As the vehicle is FWD, this will only engage when needed so on the highway, you'll be good to go.

Also, make sure you get the Compass to your local Chrysler dealer and let them take a good look at it to make sure it's on the up and up and is to Chrysler specs. This way you know you're getting a good used vehicle.

Hope that helps!

Chrysler Canada Inc.

Top Care Team

That all depends on what kind of 4wd system the jeep has. A full time system will allow you too drive on dry payment without damaging any thing, But a part time system can only be engaged on loose surfaces and can be damaged running on dry pavement. You can drive a part time system on snowy roads you just have too pay attention and disengage it on dry pavement.