Do you find the confederate flag offensive? Why?

Curious as to how much people actually know and their reasons for disliking the flag.

The only thing offensive is your grammar.

I'd like to point out that Lincoln wrote in a letter to Horace Greeley saying that "If I could save the union without freeing a single slave, I would do so".

In July 1861 a resolution was passed that said the war was not being fought over slavery but was to "maintain the Union"

This was further proven by Lincoln addressing some radicals whom were trying to make emancipation a war goal (September 1861) . He replied "We didn't go into the war to put down slavery, but to put the flag back”

General E. Lee often said that slavery was terrible and was a firm believer in gradual emancipation.

The war was not over slaves and the right to have them. It led to the secession of several southern states but it wasn't their main focus to fight.

• Yun
    Favorite Answer

I do not find the flag offensive at all (I generally find practically no inanimate objects to be offensive).

I will admit that I'm a white guy from the South, and that members of my family fought under similar banners. Perhaps that does color my view of it.

However, before you dismiss me as a racist uneducated hick (as some would surely be tempted to do), I have to point out that I've dated girls from other races, and that I married a Hispanic. I learned my view of race (and hatred of racism) from my father, who was specifically chosen at his expensive elite boarding school in the South to have the first black student as his roommate, since the school knew that my dad would treat him properly.

Returning to the subject at hand...

I learned about the Confederacy and the history of the South from that same father.

No, I do not find the flag the least bit offensive. I do know enough to know that the flag that is being used is a particular "battle flag" and not the old Confederate flag, but it is the symbol that has become matched with that group, so it works.

I don't agree with many of the things that people use it in support of, but that doesn't mean that I reject the flag itself.

I happen to live in one of the states that flew that flag on its State House until about a decade ago. It was flown below both US and the state flags, and was done solely for the sake of a memorial and remembrance. Since there were boycotts against the state, it was taken down off of the top, but was placed in a special memorial still on the Capitol grounds.

The flag is a symbol of the history of my family and my state. It shows where we come from.

• basant

at present very almost something is offensive to somebody.because of the fact the U.S. superb court docket has ruled burning the yank flag is an expression of loose speech,then human beings such as you will ought to settle for the reveal of the accomplice flag as a valid expression of loose speech.together as in college,I tacked a three'x5' accomplice flag to my dorm room wall.basically one guy or woman ever complained approximately it.yet another student,whose father have been an officer interior the German military throughout international conflict 2,displayed a Nazi flag (swastika and all) in his dorm room window.yet yet another student stored a framed image of Adolf Hitler on his wall.One Jewish student went berserk approximately it,however the image remained.the element is freedom of expression is greater significant than somebody being indignant.

It's a symbol of white supremacy. The flag references the Confederate States of America which were formed specifically to perpetuate racialized slavery.

For decades after the war though it didn't get much play. It was revived in the early 20th century in the face of renewed black agitation for civil rights. Thus it's modern meaning is steeped in white supremacy too. It was explicitly supposed to invoke a white Southern identity which would stand unified against challenges from black Southerners attempting to assert their rights.

• Brian

Yes, I find it offensive to fly that flag at this time. I particularly find it offensive when it is flown on government buildings in the South.

1) There was a war over the rights of states to secede from the Union. The flag that they rallied around was the Stars and Bars. In case you didn't know, they lost. So for a state to be continuing to fly that flag is not only an insult to the Union, it is an insult to their own soldiers as it is not a valid flag. How do we feel about people in Germany flying the swastika or the double lightning bolts of the SS?

2) To a lot of Americans, it stands for the desire to return to the times when blacks were enslaved. For me this is the major reason why I find flying the Stars and Bars to be offensive, especially since I often see it on the back of trucks of people who obviously have never lived in the South. Granted, the war was about secession, not slavery, but flying the flag is a deliberate slap at African Americans.

3) Too many people who have NO idea of what it means fly it, just as too many people who don't have a clue about Nazism wear swastikas. In this way, it is a deliberate attempt to abridge the rights of American citizens.

I have no objections to Confederate flags being placed on the grave sites of Confederate soldiers as that was the flag that they fought under, but when a soldier dies fighting for the USA, it is inappropriate to place a Confederate flag on his or her grave site. But, I wonder just how many people have the veneration to go to a graveyard and place flags on the graves of former Confederate soldiers.

What is commonly called the Confederate Flag is not. The one with the blue cross on a red background and white stars on the arms of the cross is the Confederate Battle Standard, not the Confederate national flag, of which there were four. Its display indicates a lack of maturity and respect for others as well as an ignorance of history.

To me it's kinda like guns. They say guns don't kill people, people kill people. Well the Confederate flag isn't offensive itself but the reason some people fly the Confederate flag is.

Some people claim they are flying the Confederate to show pride in their heritage but in reality they're doing it do show disrespect for the Federal government.

well I know that the civil war was caused By Lincoln just to save His empire I am an Australian and i fly the Flag in Defiance of the the warmongering Union

If Lincoln and the North was Honest why did it take Congress to make Grant release his slaves 12 Months after the war and the Emancipation Proclamation Originally covered 11 states to Punish them for wanting Independence as granted to them here

If they [the founding fathers] had foreseen it, the probabilities are they would have sanctioned the right of a State or States to withdraw rather than that there should be war between brothers. (The Personal Memoirs Of Ulysses S. Grant, Old Saybrook, Connecticut: Konecky & Konecky, 1992, reprint of original edition, pp. 130-131)

There is nothing in the Constitution that prohibits a state from peacefully and democratically separating from the Union. Indeed, the right of secession is implied in the Tenth Amendment, which reads,

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

The Constitution does not give the federal government the power to force a state to remain in the Union against its will. President James Buchanan acknowledged this fact in a message to Congress shortly before Lincoln assumed office. Nor does the Constitution prohibit the citizens of a state from voting to repeal their state’s ratification of the Constitution. Therefore, by a plain reading of the Tenth Amendment, a state has the legal right to peacefully withdraw from the Union.

Critics of the Confederacy cite certain clauses in the Constitution about the supremacy of federal law or about states not being allowed to enter into treaties with foreign powers, etc., etc. However, it goes without saying that such clauses only apply to states that are in the Union. There’s simply nothing in the Constitution that says a state can’t peacefully and democratically revoke its ratification. If a state’s citizens were to vote in a legitimate democratic process to revoke the state’s ratification of the Constitution, either by direct vote or by convention, then that state would no longer be bound by the Constitution. The citizens of each state are the ultimate sovereign, not the federal government. The federal government is supposed to be servant of the people, not their master. Even Lloyd Paul Stryker, who opposed secession, admitted the Southern states had an “arguable claim that no specific section of the Constitution stood in their way,” i.e., no section of the Constitution prohibited peaceful, democratic separation (Andrew Johnson: A Study in Courage, New York: The Macmillan Company, 1930, p. 447).

The great early American constitutional scholar William Rawle said a state had the right to secede. Rawle was a contemporary of founding fathers Thomas Jefferson and James Madison and was appointed by George Washington as the first U.S. Attorney for Pennsylvania. Rawle’s book A View of the Constitution of the United States was used as a legal textbook at a number of universities, including West Point, Dartmouth, and Harvard. To this day, scholars who debate legal issues relating to the First and Second Amendments refer to Rawle’s work.

*Rawle’s book, “A View of the Constitution of the United States”

http://www.constitution.org/wr/rawle-00.…

was used as a legal textbook at a number of universities, including West Point, Dartmouth, and Harvard. To this day, scholars who debate legal issues relating to the First and Second Amendments refer to Rawle’s work.

On the issue of secession, Rawle said,

“It depends on the state itself to retain or abolish the principle of representation, because it depends on itself whether it will continue a member of the Union. To deny this right would be inconsistent with the principle on which all our political systems are founded, which is, that the people have in all cases, a right to determine how they will be governed. This right must be considered as an ingredient in the original composition of the general government, which, though not expressed, was mutually understood. . .”

(A View of the Constitution of the United States*, 2nd Edition, 1829, Vol. 4, p. 571)

(*Robert E. Lee told Bishop Wilmer, of Louisiana, that if it had not been for the instruction received from Rawle’s text-book at West Point he would not have left the United States Army and joined the Confederate Army at the breaking out of the War.)

so Lee was Right and a Great American and Lincoln was Wrong and should Not carry the Title Honest abe

or were the Most Elite Military school teaching Prospective Leaders of the Union Army Lies

Source(s): A View of the Constitution of the United States*, 2nd Edition, 1829, Vol. 4, p. 571

I consider it the flag of a treasonous plutocratic military dictatorship whose foundational principle was slavery. So, not necessarily offensive, but monumentally stupid to honor its memory.

No I do not find it offensive. Why? Because I am not black and people were never involved in the conflict.