Christians can you explain to me how atheists are taking this passage out of context?

Or how this is a metaphor?

“But whoever publicly disowns me I will disown before my Father in heaven. Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter–in–law against her mother–in–law— your enemies will be the members of your own household. Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves a son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me.” (Mt 10:33- 38)

Some atheists got a crazy idea in their head that jesus isn't as peaceful as you say he is and is using this passage as proof. Those silly atheist heads.....

• NDMA
    Best Answer

I would dare say that sword is being use metaphorically for conflict but that is just an opinion. I really don't see an issue here, Jesus was talking to a primarily Jewish audience. To Jews in the first century religion was part of their personal identity and one abandoning the temple for another faith quite literally would be disowned. As result there would be a lot of pressure give lip service to the temple to avoid family conflict. Jesus is saying, no that ain't gonna work!

What is missing is Jesus saying log off family members heads for not believing etc. So you are not really looking a a literal war or sword fight at the dinner table, but you are talking about very real conflict. Also missing is instructions to kill anybody who does not believe - quite the contrary Jesus says love your enemies, turn the other cheek etc. Because of these other verses it is clear Jesus is not talking about actual violence but simply familial conflict due to the close association of religion and identity felt by Jews in particular. Absent applying the reductio ad absurdum fallacy I don't see a real issue here.

I think Jesus taking a whip and clearing the money changers from the temple would be a better example.

37 Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take up his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it."

The one key element in this lengthy passage is the word "sword," and its meaning. It indicates that following Jesus in his original Jewish society may not bring peace to a family, but may "split" it up, the precise function of a metaphorical sword. Are his disciples ready for that? This kind of spiritual sword invisibly severs a man from his father, and daughter from her mother, and so on (Micah 7:6). Given Jesus’ own family resistance early on (they later came around), it is only natural he would say that no matter what the cost, one must follow him to the end, even if it means giving up one’s family. But this applies only if the family rejects the new convert, not if the family accepts him in his new faith; he must not reject them, because the whole point of Jesus’ advent is to win as many people to his side as possible, even if this divides the world in two, but never violently.

God himself says in more than one place in the bible, that he is a jealous God. "Thou shalt worship no other Gods before me" is one of the ten unbreakable commandments.

"But whoever publicly disowns me I will disown before my Father in heaven..."

That bit is referring to how God commands that we are to forgive those who trespass against us. "Of you it is commanded to forgive all men. Of me, I shall forgive whom I shall forgive."

We can't see the big picture. We don't know God's plan anymore than a single ant in an anthill can see all the tunnels and where they lead and what they form together.

He's basically saying "Do what I tell you to do, not what you think you should do." because he is our God. He is the father. He knows what is best for us.

Also, There are a LOT of passages in the bible that show plain as day that God is jealous God, a vengeful God, a proud God. He isn't all that peaceful.

Source(s): I actually Read the Bible, the Book of Mormon, and the Doctrine & Covenants.

To put that into context, it fits very nicely with Luke 14:26 where Jesus tells people they have to hate in order to follow him.

"If any [man] come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple." Luke 14:26

• 7 answers and I'm still looking for one to address the question. 8, including mine.

That sounded less than a diety but more like a diva

Source(s): atheist
  • Seph

He was making the point that following him would not be easy, that people would turn against you.

Yeah fancy that! lol

This text has all the hallmarks of cult

ok, im interested in seeing how this turns out lol

@ Hope is certainty - dont dodge the question

Source(s): atheist
  • In b4 poes.