tom asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 7 years ago

Why did Obama implemented the "pivot to Asia" strategy?

Why is he sending so many troops, carriers and aircrafts over there?

Btw, is it true that there are more US forces in Asia than in the Middle East right now?

Update:

Fine, instead of "Asia" let's call it "Far East"

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Since I never heard of "pivot to Asia," I can't comment on that, but I can comment on the "Middle East." It is a British construct. They referred to the Near East when talking about North Africa, the Middle East when referring to Iran and points West to the Mediterranean, India, and the Far East. That is, Near or Far as far as the Brits were concerned. I suppose that from an Alaskan point of view, the "Far East" would be the "Near West."

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

Parts of Asia are in the Middle East.

• Philip
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

After WW2 we entered into a Cold War with the Soviet Union, and there was a lot of concern about the security of Europe. The Soviet Union no longer exists, and the Western European countries basically have stable governments with strong democratic roots.

China has emerged as a powerful political, economic, and military player. Japan is an important economic player and a major trading partner. South Korea and Australia are important allies. North Korea is quickly becoming a major regional partner. Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore are all emerging economic powers.

In South Asia, India and Pakistan are both major regional military powers; India plays a major role in economic matters.

So of course it makes sense to shift our focus away from Europe to Asia.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Mid East is in Asia

Asia includes Middle East

i challenge you to show me the dividing line.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

China has been building up their military force, and North Korea is always a pest. We can sell arms to Japan, Taiwan, Philippines and South Korea. The 'pivot' wants to address the Chinese/N. Korea threat while selling a ton of arms to our allies, and we stand to make a huge amount of money.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

its close to the Middle East

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.