Jennifer asked in PetsDogs · 7 years ago

Can a dog chew on a cow femur bone?

I have a 10 pound mutt and my friend brought me a bag of frozen bones for my dog. She told me they are cow femur bones with marrow, they are raw and cut into about 3-4 inch pieces. Can my dog chew on that type of bone?

Favorite Answer

Please look into feeding an all-raw diet.

For cats, feeding raw is LESS expensive than kibble/wet canned foods: http://catcentric.org/nutrition-and-food/raw-feedi...

The stomachs of dogs and cats are highly acidic, able to liquefy raw meat/bones.

They are designed to handle parasites and large amounts of unhealthy bacteria, including E. coli and Salmonella. Raw fed cats or dogs will have a strong immune system able to handle any viral, bacterial, or parasitic infection.

Kibble decreases the acidity of their digestive system, so mixing kibble and raw meat is often a bad idea. Also, feeding raw bones is critical. They can't be cooked because cooked bones can splinter and cause injury/death. Raw bones are much more pliable and easily digested.

Many vets recommend a kibble-based diet despite the inadequate nutritional value.. A small reason for this is that they can earn about 20% of their revenue from pet food sales and manufacturer kickbacks. The main reason, however, is because they receive about 2 weeks worth of training on animal nutrition, and guess who the teacher is? A representative from a pet food manufacturer.

The pet food industry earns over $17 billion annually in the US. Huge profit margins are gained by use of the cheapest ingredients possible.

A major ingredient in dog/cat food is grain, such as corn, wheat, or soy. These are indigestible to them. They are literally the floor scrapings from mills that process these grains for human food. They can even include cardboard. This causes large, bulky stools, or at it's worst, causes bloat, diabetes, bowel problems, etc.

Vitamins and minerals are added because they have been cooked out of kibble. Other ingredients are artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives. Colors are added to make it look good to us, but unfortunately they may be toxic and lead to kidney/liver problems and cancer.

Compare the ingredients of a low quality dog/cat food to a high quality dog/cat food. The first ingredient may be some variety of meat. Maybe it's actually "meat" or "meat meal". "Meat" is a protein source that comes from rendering plants that process slaughter house leftovers, road kill, and dead animals from animal shelters and vet offices.

They then sell the material to livestock feed and pet food manufacturers. Not only is it unbearable to think of our dogs as cannibals, bear in mind that the soduim pentobarbital used in euthanization is not eliminated in the rendering process.

Today the pet food industry earns billions, yet faces countless lawsuits from owners who's animals were made sick/killed by their products.

Also more info on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dog+fo...

• bragan

Femur Bones For Dogs

Cow Femur

Yes, but they shouldn't. The weight bearing bones from large mammals such as moose, bison, cattle, elk, etc are dense enough to crack teeth. I have seen way too many dogs break teeth on femur bones to ever feed them. Think about it. Those skinny little legs have to support a MASSIVE animal.

Some safer alternatives are pork ribs, deer ribs, pork necks, lamb necks, or turkey necks.

ETA: I am glad to see at least one other person understands the damage a cow femur can do. Definitely not worth the risk.

I would not recommend giving these products due to risk of salmonella or causing a gastrointestinal blockage. I have seen many problems with people giving these products at the emergency clinic I work at. The bottom line is that people think it never hurt THEIR dog, then it's safe for all dogs, and that is just not a great way to make recommendations.

That is WONDERFUL for your dog to chew if the bones are full of marrow and raw! That's exactly what I gave my pups when they were teething and their vet commended my for it. The marrow is very nutritious . Chewing on bones help keep plaque and tarter off their teeth. This was a very nice gift! Just keep the bones frozen then give one to your dog when the last bone has lost his interest.

If you’ve been diagnosed with diabetes, it’s very important that you learn all you can about your disease and the treatment options available to you. Learn here https://tr.im/x15TB

One way to approach diabetes is to use integrative holistic medicine, also known as alternative medicine, a medical specialty that focuses on caring for the whole person, treating and preventing disease, and empowering patients to create conditions for optimal health.

• No.

These bones are called wreck bones by the raw feeding community and for good reason.

They wreck teeth and cause cracked and chipped teeth because the bone is far to hard and dense to be properly crunched up and consumed by ANY breed of dog.

When you think about it, these bones have to hold up very heavy animals and need to be dense and hard.

I would not feed these to my dogs. If you want to feed some bones to your dogs, best to stick to pig trotters, chicken quarters, whole lamb ribs etc.

ADD: 3 TD for the right answer. Only ONE other person gave you a correct answer.

If you want to give you dog a femur, go right ahead. But don't blame me when you have to take the dog to the vet because of cracked and worn down teeth and you're complaining about the cost of vet fees.

They should be fine, but with any bone, the dog should be supervised. Once the bone thaws out, you may want to refreeze it which cuts down on the mess and chances of bacteria growing on it from laying around a room temp.

I mean for a small dog, that may be a bit to much, but almost any bone will do.

Make the piece small, but not so small he could swallow it whole. He should do fine!