Damage to diesel car trying to start it before the glow plug light goes out?

Will my partner do my diesel car any damage by consistently trying to start the car before the glow plug light goes out on these cold mornings?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Best Answer

The purpose of the glow plugs are to heat the AIR in the inlet manifold - to around 600*C - not the fuel! - Have a look at how diesel engines work. Air is drawn into the cylinders,compressed, ( heating it up ) and fuel is then injected as the piston reaches Top Dead Centre. As others have said, the worst that can happen short term is flattening the battery.

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Damage to diesel car trying to start it before the glow plug light goes out?

Will my partner do my diesel car any damage by consistently trying to start the car before the glow plug light goes out on these cold mornings?

Source(s): damage diesel car start glow plug light out: https://shortly.im/FvSEs
  • 3 years ago

Glow Plug Light

• 7 years ago

No, but he will run the battery down trying to start, that 5 seconds or so, is for the glow plugs to warm the fuel, but once warmed up, it will not need the glow plugs again,as the cylinders will stay hot., so if you were to stop ,and say half hour later re start, it should fire up right away

Source(s): oldtimer
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

it can do what can happen is if the glow plug is not hot enough you can get raw/unburnt Diesell down the side of the cylinderr cursing excesss engine wear it is not uncommonn to turn the engine on let the light go out then turn the ignition off then let the light go out 2 or 3 times in cold weather so you need to train your partner quick

• 7 years ago

It's your car and tell him if he can't start it the right way to stay out of it. Anytime you don't follow directions you can screw something up and the repair bill for a diesel engine will knock your socks off.

• 4 years ago

If you wish to learn to be able to eliminate your assailant in a subject of moments then you definitely need to master the movements from the web plan of Bruce Perry, Patriot Self Defense that you will discover here https://tr.im/c0peC .

Patriot Self Defense is a course like no other when he shows you how to use merely yet fatal approach to be able to protect yourself since learning  how to keep cool and defend any kind of opponent is the greatest learning.

Lear how to keep safe with typically the most popular plan online.

• 7 years ago

No other than wearing rings early due to unburnt diesel being sprayed into cylinder and removing oil film ftom cyl walls. Wont help catalyst life either. Far better to learn a tad patience and crank when light goes out.

Source(s): Tested diesel engines for a living nearly 40 years.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Only by unnecessarily and pointlessly exercising the battery and starter.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Yes, quite!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.