What is the best sports bike for riding long distances?

I'm looking into getting my first bike and I think I'm going to get a CBR 600 f4i because I've always been partial to Honda but I don't know for sure. I have a $4000 limit and a big thing is I really want to take the bike up to school. My school is 650 miles away and I want to find a bike that won't kill me on the way up. I heard that preformance wise they're pretty much all the same (GSXR, ninja, cbr, r6) but I'm looking for ease of use and maintenance (because I'm new to bikes), erganomics on a long ride, reliability and mpg is also a pretty big factor. I'm about 5'7 and 200 pounds and I want to get a bike I can control when I'm coming to a stop, ie touch the ground fairly firmly. Its also got to be fuel injected. Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• Steve
    Favorite Answer

I personally think the Honda VFR 800 (interceptor i think the USA call it) would be a far far better choice for your needs as it is a sport tourer, fast, comfortable, reliable and has a better riding position, better wind protection and has great removable hard luggage

But I wouldn't specifically recommend that or a CBR 600 for a beginner.

• pmaxu

You're not going to be able to pick up any bike that's comfortable for a long haul for under 4 grand. Even used touring bikes that are worth buying aren't going to be that cheap, unless you have the money to fix them up. Don't forget that you're going to have insurance, so going and buying a high performance sports bike (even if it's an older one) is going to get pretty expensive. I'd buy a cheap 250 sport bike or a cheap used cruiser. Unless you can drop 15-20 grand on a sports/cruiser touring bike a 650 mile journey isn't going to be comfortable. However, I have seen people do those types of trips on little 205s. The high way isn't fun on them, but they'll do it if they're in good repair.

1. First learn to ride on a small beginner's motorcycle.

2. Buy a sports-tourer, not a sports or supersports bike - cheaper and more comfortable.

edit*

$4000 is plenty enough money to buy a motorcycle. That's enough for a Honda VFR 750 or 800, Honda Deauville or a near-mint condition Yamaha FJ1200.

If ya want a go any where bike in any weather look for BMW GS down side is your insurance costs assuming your allowed to ride a big engined bike, If not pick up a cheapo for a year then upgrade.

ave a cbr600. I can last about 1.5 hours before I have to stop to give my **** a break. Its not meant for touring. Its not meant for maintenance either unless you have a lot of time. It takes about 4 hours to change the plugs