Will NASA ever bring a civilian into space?

Update:

I understand that they already have in the past, but will they attempt this again in the future?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Civilian = not military. Most of NASA's astronauts since the 1980s have been civilians. Neal Armstrong was actually a civilian at the time of the Apollo 11 lunar mission. Harrison Schmidt was the first astronaut who was NEVER a member of the US armed forces; he landed on the Moon with Apollo 17.

Edit: Uh... NASA has a civilian in space RIGHT NOW. Flight Engineer Thomas Marshburn was NEVER a member of any branch of the military and is presently aboard the ISS.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Neil Armstrong was a civilian.

Lots of Astronauts are civilians as opposed to being active duty military.

• Josh
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

A generation ship will require the participation of almost every country on Earth....What do you think.?

I'm not sure why NASA hasn't started yet but I'm sure it has to do with the cost that could reach in the trillions.

And since the world seems to be having money troubles I'm sure there not so anxious to propose a project that would cost the US almost everything..

The middle east only cares about Alla

Europe doesn't care about space at all, unless you count the LHC which still hasn't produced anything after all theys years of operations. (Russia not included)

Africa is still in the Bronze age.

South America and Australia are just.... living (if standing still is what you call living)

and the USA seems to be going through a political civil war,

so yea

• 8 years ago

They already have.

Meet Christa McAuliffe. She was an American school teacher who was on board the space shuttle Challenger when it launched.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christa_McAuliffe

Oh, by the way... The Challenger was the space shuttle that blew up 73 seconds after it launched.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Challen...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Most astronauts ARE civilians. That is, if you take civilian as meaning nonmilitary.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.