Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 7 years ago

What are 5 examples of grace in the book les miserables?

Exam things ...0.o

Thanks!

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Best Answer

Meh, exams. I feel your pain. You should really take the time to read it though, if you haven't already. And watch the movies. And listen to the audio tapes. And become a rabid fan like myself. I loved the book. All 1,260 pages :D But anyways, to your question:

1) One obvious display happens close to the beginning. When Jean Valjean steals the silverware of the bishop, the justice of the law would have demanded his punishment. The bishop could have thrown him back in prison, but instead sees to it that Valjean is set free, gracefully forgiving him, and giving him two silver candlesticks. This one act of grace leads to the turning point of Jean Valjean’s entire life. Yay bishop :D

2) Jean Valjean as the new mayor years later shows grace to the struggling Fantine by rescuing her orphaned daughter Cosette and helping her, even after he found out that she was prostituting herself (as a last resort to help her child), an act punishable by law. He raised Cosette himself, too, after she died :(

3) Through a set of circumstances set amidst the struggle of the French Revolution, Javert becomes the captive of Jean Valjean. He expects death at the hands of Valjean, but to his surprise, he is released unharmed. (Valjean actually pretends to shoot him to spare his life). Javert is saved, not because he deserves it, but because of the grace of Jean Valjean—who shows it even to his tormentor.

4) In a way Javert’s lack of grace, shows grace in the end. While Javert has been touched by grace by the hand of Valjean, he still holds the law as superior. Javert’s response to grace caused him to restrain when he had the opportunity to shoot Jean Valjean. Instead of shooting him, he commits suicide, allowing Valjean to live.

5) Finally, when Valjean has become mayor, he shows grace by owning up to the fact that he truly is the ex-convict when he hears about the trial, taking the rightful blame, and not leaving the man--who the court claimed to be the "real" Valjean--to rot in jail. He could have easily let that man take the fall for him, and no one would have known the wiser. But he doesn't, which is very graceful.

Okay I'm done now. My fingers hurt :3 Seriously, though. You should read it!

Good luck with exams!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.