Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 7 years ago

Membrane sweeping at 38-39 weeks?

At my last prenatal appointment the doctor gave me a sheet for membrane sweeping. On the sheet it says that you can get the membrane sweeping done any where from 38-39 weeks. My due date is feb 13th and I was wondering if anyone else has has a membrane sweeping? Does it hurt? What exactly is it? Did you go into labour early because of it? I don't plan on getting it unless it is beneficial. What do you think of them?

Best Answer

Nothing is "beneficial" about forcing your baby to come before he is ready. Your baby will release a hormone from the adrenal gland when he is done baking and ready to come. Many things can go wrong by forcing your body to go into labor, including fetal distress and emergency csec. Trust me.. Sleeeep while you can and rest up because once that miracle comes its a 24/7 workout :)

Source(s): Mom to 2 yr old and 11 day old boys, had 3 miscarraiges, medical student studying sonography concentrating in prenatal care

I really just would not do it. I got a membrane sweep at 40 + 2 days and ended up having to have an emergency C-section because my water broke, but I wasn't dilating.

You've got 2 weeks left to bake, hun. Enjoy it. Rest as much as possible.

Believe me, you'll miss being pregnant. Well, some of it, lol.

Congrats, BTW.