Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens Β· 7 years ago

Anyone out there has a crockpot? Is it really useful?

I've just seen this and I'm wondering if it's really true:

"A crock-pot has been my salvation. Dump whatever you want for dinner in the crock-pot on your way out the door in the morning and it will be ready when you get home. I've made soups, roasts, and pastas, even desserts. Not only is it easy and convenient, but it makes the most flavorful and tender meat I've ever tasted. Invest in a crock-pot cookbook and learn how to cook anything under the sun with zero effort. You can even put everything you plan to cook into the crock pot the night before, stick it in the refrigerator and simply take it out and plug it in as your race out the door in the morning. As an added bonus you will only have one pan to clean!"

I'll choose Best Answer later. Thanks in advance.

Favorite Answer

My husband does a lot of the cooking and finally got a crockpot and has made a couple of good things but I just don't like the idea of having it on all day just to cook a stew or whatever. I much prefer using my pressure cooker --can get the same "infused" tastes and so quick. My mother used the pressure cooker a lot but doesn't seem like they are very popular currently, although I did find it amusing to see an ad for an "infusion" cooker which made it seem like some brand new invention!

• Baw

There are lots of good crock pot recipes on line, I just google what I'm looking for, say "crock pot pot roast" and it's all good. I don't use my crock pot as much as I did when the kids were at home, but I do still use it. I love both beef and pork roasts the best. I always brown or sear the outside of the meat first before putting it in the pot, but it's not necessary. With beef I add a can of mushroom soup and dried onion soup and cook it for 6-8 hours until it falls apart and serve it with rice, noodles or potatoes. With pork I smother the outside with garlic and wrap it tight in foil. Cook for about 6 hours until it falls apart. There are also great soups and stews. When the kids were home and I worked full time I would fix the pot the night before, take it out of the fridge in the morning and plug it in on low, it was supper when I got home.

• Blank

I own two Crock pots and use them both frequently. But, there's a problem with them. You can ruin meat and poultry in a Crock pot by over cooking it and drying it out. It can turn to mush. I don't care how much gravy you try to mask this with, the meat will have the texture of shredded cardboard.

I've used my crock pot for beans, roast, stews, stuffed chicken breasts, and desserts like Apple Brown Betty. I like using it. You don't have to stand over the pot. The only time I ever leave meat in my Crock pot all day is when I'm cooking something like a rump roast that I'll be shredding for burros, tamales or enchiladas.

I love making beef stew in the Crock pot. And, as someone else said those Crock pot lasagna recipes are delicious.

Very useful, especially in winter. I crock pot stews, soups and chili at least once a week. When I have veggies that need to be fixed I usually dump them in the crock pot with a cup of chicken bouillon. Yes, it makes cooking and cleanup easier. I cant imagine a senior person's home without one.

• Snid

I've had several over the years. I have one now but I never use it. For some reason, I think the taste of the food alters too much. Plus, The Husband doesn't like pot roast much or any of the kinds of foods you cook in one.

I think I prefer to use the crockpot more often than the wife over the yrs. I make oxtail / beef shank stew w/vegs, small roasts including chili verde and pulled pork. Its quite simple as you mention in your Q. I also use a small electric rice cooker for perfectly made rice to go with the meat dish. My wife like to make some very delicious veg soups in the crockpot. I only wish she would make them more often.

Really easy and using either a built-in or external electric timer is a wonderful addition.

Source(s): Using crockpots for cooking over 30 yrs.

This is so true. I have 3 crock pots and they are a life saver. I put pork in there for a couple of hours and when it was done you could not belive how TENDER it was. I could not even take it out because it was like pulled pork. Its amazing for anything and a life saver

I just recently started using the slow-cooker since I started eating healthier.

I learned how to make soup, stew, lasagna, & a few other things in it. It really helps me eat healthy on the days I have to work.

My SO also uses it much more now. He'll make whole chicken, soup, & other meats in it.

I think it's a great investment!

I do like my slow cooker a lot! It's so nice when you are going to have a busy day, to just toss the ingredients in the pot, and then be about your day. So nice to come home to the yummies!

• Yes i have one and use it a lot.

But I don't just dump everything in it like that

I rather have my meat cook for awhile before I add anything..(to be on the safe side).