Jazz music is dying out?

I'm a 15 year old, thinking about my future. Honestly, my passion is jazz. I play saxophone, and I love jazz. Problem is, jazz is dying out. It is a laughing matter now. If you go to school and say you listen to jazz, you get laughed at and get picked on for not listening this crap hoard of sounds, supposedly known as "music" (somehow?) made by Nicki Minaj and Lil wayne... I can't stand it. When someone gives me their headphones, and says "listen to this song!" and i hear it is lil wayne er whatever, I can't hear any music whatsoever. I couldn't like it even if I tried my hardest. I honestly think people only listen it to be "cool."

I was thinking about my future. I really wanna be a musician, as a saxophonist. But I can't when my favorite genre is dying out. I kind of want to somehow, resurrect jazz. Any form of networking makes it seem like it is the most boring thing in the world. Like seeing it in a commercial, it looks like a low quality, boring, local commercial. I want to advertise jazz as something really interesting. I've gotten a fairly good understanding of what people are attracted to. I want to make it seem like YOU are the "cool" one if you have any thing to do with jazz. I want to make band the type of thing every one wants to be in, like the 60s. I don't want it to die.

However, jazz dying out, I have no idea how I could advertise it with no money. I want music to be a career, but I can't really when it's kind of.. dead.

kjsdfkjghlkjfsg what do I do >.>

What is your opinion on the music industry?

Best Answer

First, thank you for your devotion to jazz. That's the first thing that will help keep jazz alive. There are a lot of young people here in Seattle who are very active in nationally recognized school jazz bands. Many of them go on to successful music careers. You are not alone, and I am grateful to you all for your contributions. There are a lot of institutions working to keep jazz education going and this gives me hope.

The second thing that will keep jazz alive is an audience. I really don't know whether it's growing or not. Your question has started me on some research. So far, I see unclear results with no firm conclusion. The fact that there is information available on jazz audience demographics at least demonstrates that there are people and institutions working to understand what's really going on. That also gives me hope for jazz.

What I can say, from my own experience, is that there are a lot of people, young and old, who are deeply interested in jazz here in Seattle. Jazz lovers are a small but devoted bunch. I can go out to a club or concert hall any day of any week here (well, not Christmas Day) and hear live jazz by local musicians- and I'm not alone in the audience. I can also say that there are lots of people may not count jazz as their favorite type of music, but who find some kind of jazz that they enjoy at least part of the time they listen. So this gives me hope.

The music industry as a whole is, has been, and probably always will be a tough business focused on the latest thing and a fast buck. Jazz musicians - musicians in general - have always had a challenging time. I know that there are people here in Seattle who, through a combination of teaching, gigging, recording, arranging, whatever, are raising families on jazz. Maybe not getting rich like Kenny G, but getting along and doing it while doing something they love.

Also, since it's alive, it keeps changing. It's mixing and merging with new classical music, world musics, rock, even hip-hop and rap. Jazz is not going to die out, but it will change. And that's as it should be.

There are young people out there who share your interest in jazz. I wish I knew how to help you get in touch with them, but I don't. Garfield High School and Roosevelt High School here in Seattle have excellent jazz band programs. There are high school jazz band competitions all over the US - maybe there's one near you. Cornish College and University of Washington in Seattle have strong jazz programs. Check out "Racer Sessions" on Facebook to see what a lot of young folks here are doing. YouTube has some videos recorded at The Royal Room here, jazz and otherwise.

I hope this helps. Good luck and best wishes.

Jazz is still alive! I'm 14 and I love jazz! Favorite type of music. In my area, there is a jazz station which I listen to all the time! What you can do is:

1. Get your friends or classmates to learn an instrument- percussion, flute, trumpet, saxaphone, clarinet, piccolo, trombone, oboe, anything that is jazzy or just a plain instrument!

2. Reserch about local or nearby jazz bands that you can join. If your school has a band, join it. If you join an extra curricular activity thing, then you'll find people with the same interests as you- including jazz music!

3. Talk to your parents or school counseler to figure out what to do.

Five years of flute experience. First chair in band. I want to learn saxaphone because I want to be in jazz band next year and jazz bands traditionally don't have flutes- only bras instruments. Fingering is very similar!

Good luck and I hope you don't give up!

Source(s): Experience

Oh my Gosh! That's exactly what happens to me! I play the saxophone too. I especially love the swing era jazz and Benny Goodman and Glenn Miller. My iPod is full of music made before 1950! Let me tell you, I've dreamed of becoming a jazz musician too and had to except that jazz pretty much faded away after World War II. I hate that we're left with either people singing like they're throwing up, n----r used 100 times, WUB WUB WUB, and the rest auto tuned. My opinion is that the music industry is now judged on appearance, not talent. Jazz probably won't die in our generation because of bands like the Preservation Hall or Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, but it's just not all the rage like it used to be. Trust me, you aren't the only teen who loves jazz and deals with this screwed up generation of music. It's nice to hear someone else my age that loves jazz!

Some one once said to me "Jazz isn't dead, it's done." All its theoretical and aesthetic variations have been attempted and categorized. But even when jazz was not "done' people were arguing what jazz was/is. Traditonalists thought it was New Orleans/ Louis Armstrong and disparaged Be-Boppers. Was Big Band Jazz or simply Pop? I don't think Miles Davis was playing Jazz after 1968 (I LOVE every period of Miles' genius). So when someone dies their kid may be/look/act nothing like them, unless you LOOK REAL CLOSE and THEN you notice the similarities. So Jazz is what Jazz was: Music baby. Listen and dig.

I don't think jazz is dying at all. There are tons of great jazz musicians still around and always will be. There are a lot of people who listen to nothing but jazz. I applaud you for not listening to that rap crap. Lowest form of "music" on the planet. Sixth grade rhymes over a drum machine, how lame is that? Stick with what you're doing and you'll be fine.

Source(s): I've been playing guitar for 48 years, just about every kind of music there is and jazz is right at the top of my list to play.

I think soulmate and elsejazz gave you very good answers.

To add my10 cts:

At your age you shouldnt worry already about your career, but follow your heart.

I know a lot of people who are much more succesful than me (i am a jazz piano player),

but who yet envy me, because i do what i like to. Some of them are really unhappy with their life, because once they made a rational decision instead of just studiyng what they wanted to.

As a Jazz player you wont get rich, thats for sure. But if you are devoted and you work hard, you will make your way, maybe you wont be making enough money with just gigging, but a half time teaching job isnt that bad.

In my opinion the most important thing careerwise is that you like what you do, and you get respect from others, so just do it.

and by the way, if you are young enough to do something else later, if you get fed up with it.

good luck to you!

Follow your ear. It is more developed than that of your peers.

Learning to play jazz will give you a distinct advantage over people who do not have that skill set.

Not to say that being a good jazz player is the same as being a good classical player or a good rock player. But the skills necessary to play jazz will allow you to function at a higher level in any other musical situation.

Jazz isn't dead but it does a good job of faking it, thanks to a largely ignorant and disenfranchised American cultural narrative. Frank Zappa famously quipped "it just smells funny". A lot of what "killed" Jazz is its own cantankerousness about who defines it, and (even more destructively) who "owns" it. The only honest answer to that question is NOBODY DOES. Zappa helped illuminate the problem himself, in the late '80's, when he decried a largely musically illiterate American populace insisting on music of a certain "timbre" at a certain "tempo" (96 bpm, no screwing around with 98 or 94, we gotta GIT DOWIN') and only using certain "proscribed" licks, scales and notes on certain proscribed instruments. (Because, you know, we REALLY LIKE music.) It was a little bit abrasive, but essentially puts the crosshairs on a business that drives the lowest common denominator down, down, down, and down some more until there's nothing to hang actual talent on anymore. The average "Joe" had a better idea of what musical talent looked like in 1960 than one does in 2015. So, thank you for your dedication, but the only way to save music (in general) and Jazz (in particular) is for there to be a new commitment to Music Education in PUBLIC education. A work ethic is a vital component in anything and music (Jazz) is no exception. When it starts being something that inspires its practitioners to RAISE the standards from the previous generation (instead of lowering, or most recently, OBLITERATING them) it'll start being cool again. And my clock radio (as one of the members of Steely Dan famously quipped to Robert Klein) can stop being being just a clock again.