Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 8 years ago

Cat slipped/fell and trouble walking?

My 18 year old cat tried to jump up on the couch today (about a 1- 1 1/2 feet from the floor) and she didn't make it and slipped off. This happens often enough, as she is old and her balance isn't as good as it used to be...usually she's perfectly fine. However today, after slipping she is staggering as she walks, her back leg or legs have been injured I think. She will walk and sway back and forth or her legs will kind of fall out from under her and she'll roll to the side. She can stand perfectly fine though, without wobbling or falling and she even jumped from the couch to a stool thing we have beside it (which is about a foot away) with ease it seemed. Anyone know what she might of have done? If she doesn't seem any better in the morning I am going to take her to the vet, but if anyone has any idea what she might have done I'd appreciate some insight. Thank you.

@ Beak: I already said I am going to take her to the vet tomorrow if she isn't better, I can't right now as it is almost 11PM.

She has a soft tissue injury in her hind legs. Vet gave me painkillers and told be to keep her rested.

Favorite Answer

She was injured in the fall, have the vet do a complete exam of her joints and ligaments in the rear legs plus check the spine for problems. This is very painful for her if she's swaying and loosing balance in her hind end.

I would take your cat to an emergency vet TONIGHT. Your cat may have hurt her spine and the longer you wait the more damage will be done. If you wait until tomorrow, your cat may be paralyzed permanently. It can take hours for serious injury to become apparent and by that time it's too late.

Source(s): Retired CVT

take to vet