Sara asked in PetsHorses · 8 years ago

Starting a barrel horse??? Bit choices?

I usually ride him in a 3 peice snaffle and many different types of shanks/ transition bits. Someone had mentioned using a twisted O-ring snaffle for starting my horse on barrels? what are your opinions on Twisted O-ring snaffles?/

Favorite Answer

I use a twisted O-ring snaffle on my barrel horses. I find that they respond better to that

In my opinion if you need a bit your horse needs more training. All my horses are trained to ride in just a halter and I can jump, herd cows, and run barrels.

But if you have to have a bit a very mild snaffle. You should be neck reining not hauling on your horses mouth.

• Carl

A plain snaffle is all you need. If you think you need more bit, you don't. What you need is better training.

it fairly is substantial which you defend your horse from sprains, lines, and bruising with the help of installation him with protecting boots. there are maximum of issues which could injury your horses legs from hitting the barrel to clipping the front together with his back that it fairly is extra useful to guard his legs than to have him injury. a physically powerful boot like the activities drugs Boots additionally help to soak up lots of the ask your self he will adventure mutually as working at intense speeds. Your horse isn't something without his legs and ft so an oz. of prevention is extra useful than a pound of treatment.