Holly asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 7 years ago

I'm 13, and I want to get into old songs and movies?

I'm 13, and even though I do love modern day films, and songs, I feel like I'm missing out on a whole other world of things. I really hate horror movies, but could you suggest some good old movies and songs? Thanks :)

Best Answer

Well there are loads of great old films and music and I know because I pretty much love all of that a whole lot more then now a day things. Some old movies may be Breakfast at Tiffany's, and one of the songs could be Dream a little dream of me by Fabien Andre and Wilber Schlwandt, Fly me to the moon by Frank Sinatra, and Beyond the Sea by Bobby Darin. Some artists can be like Frank Sinatra, Bobby Darin, Bob Dylan, Elvis, the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix. Really good old tv shows that I absolutely love are I Love Lucy or The Brady Bunch. Just kinda explore a little because there are loads of great time eras from 20's to 80's. if I had to choose a fav I just couldn't i love them all, I wished so bad that I lived back then. Hope I was a little bit of help (: And btw, we are the same age (:

I am going to list the best Hollywood musicals of all time:

1. The Wizard of Oz

2. Cabaret

3. My Fair Lady

4. Singing in the Rain

5. The Sound of Music

6. Oliver!

7. The King and I

8. Fiddler on the Roof

9. Funny Girl

10. Meet Me in St Louis

For a real old but great classic, try a Fred Astaire and Ginger Rodgers, like "The Gay Divorcee" whose song "The Continental" was the first film song to win the Oscar for Best Song.

• Like, how old?

German Expressionism:

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)

Nosferatu (1922)

Metropolis (1927)

Vaudeville-influenced:

Animal Crackers (1930)

Horse Feathers (1932)

Duck Soup (1933)

Film noir:

The Maltese Falcon (1941)

Double Indemnity (1944)

D.O.A. (1950)

Night of the Hunter (1955)

Touch of Evil (1958)

The Breakfast Club

Song From Movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jlHz0wF0Ig

Youtube thumbnail

Simple Minds: Don't You (Forget About Me)

License To Drive - Stars The Two Corey's (popular 80's actors)

Popular 80's song featuring the Two Corey's

Song: Michael Damian: Rock On http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzhK8obBBms

Youtube thumbnail

The Lost Boys (Also stars The Two Corey's)

Song From Movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrMLMV6E4CM

Youtube thumbnail

Gerard McMann: Cry Little Sister (Popular in the 80's)

The Legend Of Billie Jean

Pretty In Pink

Adventures In Babysitting

Can't Buy Me Love

The Goonies

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Dirty Dancing

Cluess

Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead

Some great old movies (not sure how old ur looking for)

Chariots of fire

Into the West (im not sure if its truly old:)

Newsies

Swing Kids

Jimmy Stewart movies are great like You Cant take it With You, Its a wonderful Life, No Highway in the Sky, Charles Lindbergh, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and he did a couple of baseball movies but i cant remember their names

Sneetches and other stories (i LOVE Dr. Seuss)

For old music try these groups (my mom has introduced me to some really great stuff):

The Carpenters

Bread

Peter, Paul and Mary

Chicago

The Beegees

Phil Collins

Styx

Air Supply

Richard Marx

James Taylor

Source(s): im a teenager

Juno Legally Blonde 2 domicile Bunny Pursuit of Happiness (sooo unhappy) Mama Mia is powerful Step up Step up 2 Little Manhatten (so gorgeous haha) and IF those action pictures are out on DVD take a examine out Bride Wars and Bedtime memories kk lol desire i helped!

Go to IMDB.com and find the top 250 movies

start watching those movies. I suggest you watch them in order just to give yourself a focus point. I'll admit that some of those movies on the list are hard to watch if your not use to 3 hour epics, but others are great movies for anybody

Shawshank Redemption

12 Angry Men

Sunset Boulevard

Casablanca

Citizen Kane

Rear Window

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

and for old songs, start with...

Beatles

The Who

Pink Floyd

Eagles

Led Zeppelin

Queen

http://www.avrev.com/top-100-bands-of-all-time/top...

• LilyRT

hitchcock is usually a good place to start. almost everyone loves hitchcock. Rear Window, Dial M for Murder, The Birds are all great flicks that are easy to get into. Vertigo is his best, imo.

if you like romances, you might check out Casablanca, Breakfast at Tiffanys, Some Like It Hot, The Quiet Man.

if you're looking for something heavier, 12 Angry Men, Sunset Boulevard, Whos Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, The Manchurian Candidate.

at around 11, I first watched The Godfather and it blew me away. but, it's R rated and contains a lot of violence, and a brief nudity and sex scene.

I would suggest starting with the movie "Operation Petticoat" it's a comedy with Cary Grant and Tony Curtis. If you enjoy that you will be lead to watch more Cary Grant films which there are lots and you will discover other stars such as Katharine Hepburn and James Stewart and their movies by doing so.

Well for movies;

Anything by Stanley Kubrick or Alfred Hitchcock.

As for songs;

The Beatles

Source(s): My head