Sam asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 7 years ago

gaelic translation please?

Im looking into getting a tattoo written in Gaelic, that says "Seize the day". I understand that there is a difference between Irish Gaelic and Scottish Gaelic, although im not sure how different they are. Preferably i would like this to be in Scottish Gaelic if possible.

so far ive heard that "aproveitar o momento" and "aprovitar o dia" essentially say Seize the Day, is this right?

Thanks so much!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Direct translations of proverbs don't make sense. I'll give you equivalents of the sentiment 'Carpe Diem':

"Tóg an liathróid ar an gcéad phreab" = "Take the ball on the first bounce".

"Is breá í an óige ach ní thagann sí faoi dhó" = "Youth is splendid but it doesn't come twice"

Source(s): Irishspeaker
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

The saying isn't used in Gàidhlig, however a direct translation would be in the (2nd Sin. imperative) "Glac an latha" or "Greimich an latha".

A more likely saying is "Gabh an cothrom" .....take the opportunity / chance.

Or a proverb?...."Gabh an latha math às a thoiseach"...."take the good day early".

You really need to understand a language well before committing for eternity.

Source(s): Gàidheal
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.