Why do people say that Americans have no cuisine?

I know that they eat a lot of processed foods, but they have hundreds of good dishes and foods which originate there (much of which are my favorite foods). Where does this idea come from?
Update: Gumbo, pumpkin pie, grits (plain and fancy), clam chowder, hard shell tacos and turkey pie are some examples. The country is fairly large so regional cuisines vary. Grape jelly and peanut butter are also well liked but I don't know if they count as cuisine. This question could also apply to Canada, although... show more Gumbo, pumpkin pie, grits (plain and fancy), clam chowder, hard shell tacos and turkey pie are some examples. The country is fairly large so regional cuisines vary.

Grape jelly and peanut butter are also well liked but I don't know if they count as cuisine.

This question could also apply to Canada, although Canadians don't have as varied a diet.
Update 2: I must disagree that American food is entirely derived from foreign foods. While most of it is, certain indigenous peoples, mainly in the Southeast and the Southwest, not only grew a large variety of foods but also had several kinds of dishes which are staples of American cooking today. I also wouldn't use... show more I must disagree that American food is entirely derived from foreign foods. While most of it is, certain indigenous peoples, mainly in the Southeast and the Southwest, not only grew a large variety of foods but also had several kinds of dishes which are staples of American cooking today. I also wouldn't use the term 'bastardization' because, while that applies to some of the foreign-derived food, much of it is an improvement (although the point of view on that can vary). Remember also that all cuisines of the world wouldn't exist as they do without outside influences.