what are the washers / fasteners called, that help attach a carriage bolt to wood?

They are round washers with 4 " teeth" that go down into the wood, There is a square hole in the middle of the washer to keep the carriage bolt from spinning. Thanks ! ( I tried Goggles with no help! )

Favorite Answer

Torque Washer

Carriage Bolt Washer

A carriage bolt, eh? Well, that washer is called lots of things. Torque washer seems to be the most common nomenclature. They engage the square shoulders of the carriage bolt head so you can put a nut on the other side and torque that up so the carriage bolt will do its job.

Torque washer.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): washers fasteners called attach carriage bolt wood: https://biturl.im/ymw2e

Good luck on that one! Messed with those things myself. Those holes are there to insert a spreader tool. Since the darned thing is made of spring steel, it's nearly impossible to get them back on the shaft without it. I've tried using a pair of needle-nosed plyers, but you can't apply enough opposing force to spread the washer out and place it properly. I did get a cheap tool at Goodwill that did the trick. It comes with several different tips that fit various sized washers. Man, those things are a real B****! I've tried placing them on one side of the groove they fit in and then using the plyers to try to move them into place horizontally by clamping the washer on one side and the shaft on the other. They just go into orbit! Nasty, frustrating monsters! Get the tool. You insert it in the holes, spread and then slip it onto the shaft.