David asked in SportsMartial Arts · 7 years ago

How sharp and dangerous are "dull" steel swords?

sharp enough to get cut from touching it?

Favorite Answer

Nowhere NEAR sharp enough to cut you from touching it. But if someone swung one at you, you could get seriously hurt. We're still talking a flat 3lbs piece of steel. It's not exactly going to tickle if it slams into your body. Even a dull sword could sever limbs if swing hard enough; they just wouldn't be clean cuts.

Sharp enough to poke holes in your T-shirt and pants when you are practicing and slopping your techniques. I have done that.

As far as actually hitting someone to see what kind of damage I can inflict, I have never done that but my guess is with enough force in the right place it would not be a pleasant experience for the one on the receiving end. I think it will split the skin quite nicely and cause bleeding. Kind of like running into a cabinet edge/corner in the middle of the night on your way to the bathroom. If I can poke your eye out with my fingers the tip even of a blunt sword would do the job just as well.

A bokken which is the wooden counterpart to a katana for training is known to have take off heads in skilled hands. Of course you won't get a cut but who cares, if I am in danger I'll settle for a rip if that stops my attacker.

• Jay

Clubs and sticks are blunt, and they can kill easily.

It doesn't really matter if a sword is sharp or not. It's meant to have a blade (as per its very design), but can be just as deadly without one. The only exception to it would be the "cutting" portion. Stabbing and precision impacts are still readily available.

• Matt

Well we tested that theory a while back now, I used my Iaito (Blunt training katana) to attempt a cut on a single tatami mat.

Long story short, it wasn't clean and had a lot of tearing, but it still cut to some extent.

(Took a few tries to sever the mat in a single stroke too)

And if by dull you actually mean dull and not blunt? Chances are it will still cut, my dull blades still have a lot of cut left in them, just not as much as they used to

I read a book where a teenage girl decapitated two vampires with an antique, dull sword, so im guessing pretty dangerous.

• s

It probably can't cut as well as you'd think. But it's still a large, metal object. It can be used as a blunt object, like a baseball bat. Still as lethal.

Source(s): 15 years of martial arts.

Won’t really cut, but still have the geometrical advantage, weight, and hardness to break bones.

Still very heavy, hard, and dangerous.