Liquid CO2 is an environmentally friendly replacement for perchloroethylene (PCE) which is one of the most common chemical dry cleaning solvent. PCE is a toxic substance and known to cause health issues including liver and central nervous system damage.PCE is suspected to be carcinogenic.
How does it work
Its bubbly consistency, even in liquid form, makes CO2 an effective cleaning solvent. CO2 cleaning is typically done using a specialized machine, which can store the CO2 gas used to pressurize the wash tank. CO2 is often mixed with recyclable cleaning detergent to form cleaning fluid, which saturates clothes in a 3-5 to 45-minute cycle. In a similar way to how a washing machine spin cycle removes water from clothes using a centripetal "spinning" force; the liquid CO2 cleaning machine then removes CO2 fluid from the clothes in a spin.
Some other advantages
1. Overall cost of CO2 cleaning averages about 20 percent cheaper than chemical solvent-based processes
2. CO2 dry cleaning machines have low operating costs and high productivity.
3. A liquid CO2 wash cycle takes nearly half the time a solvent-based system takes
4. The liquid CO2 solution used in its machines can be recycled and reused.
1. The cost of installing a CO2 dry cleaning machine, however, can be up to four times more expensive than a regular machine.
2. A disadvantage of CO2 is its limited ability to dissolve polar molecules.However, the characteristics of CO2 can be modified by the addition of a co-solvent like IPA For particulate soils, however, the cleaning-results using CO2, water and IPA are reported to be worse than with PCE.
Hope I have answered all the points