Help with names, know middle name choices, but unsure of first name?

I'm stuck because my family wants me to use May (Though I prefer Mae as that's how my great grandmother spelt her name) and darling hubby's family wants us to use Rose I wasn't planning on using 2 middle names and these 2 names just don't seem to blend together at all which is making me frustrated. Originally we were thinking about something along the lines of: Genevieve Rose (last name starts with a G) Or Brooklyn Mae would work, but I haven't found a first name that really goes with BOTH middle names. Any idea's?

Neither of us have siblings and we tried to explain and then it was "oh well you guys love her family more" kind of thing. This seems so childish, we're 30 and this shouldn't be a huge deal. Is it a bad idea for no middle name?

Favorite Answer

MAY/MAE

GENDER: Feminine

USAGE: English

PRONOUNCED: MAY

...It is also used as a diminutive of MARY, MARGARET or MABEL.

As a nn for Mary, I think the choice of May+Rose is obvious: Rosemary or Rosemarie.

Since it's such a classic, traditional name, it doesn't sound good with the more modern Brooklyn.

Genevieve Rosemarie flows nicely, even if it's a tad long.

However, ending up with GG as initials seems weird since, around here, GG stands for "great-grandma".

Perhaps using another classical name would sound better:

Althea Rosemarie

Thea Rosemarie

Corinna Rosemary

Julia Rosemarie

Ada Rosemarie

Alana Rosemary

Audra Rosemarie

Sela Rosemarie

Elsa Rosemarie

Carys Rosemarie

Dinah Rosemary

Della Rosemarie

Nora Rosemarie

Kathryn Rosemary

My faves are Thea Rosemarie, Della Rosemarie, and Kathryn Rosemary.

I hope this helps a bit.

I agree with using Mae instead of May and kinda like Brooklyn Mae as well. Will this be your only child? Maybe you could save the other name for your next? Rose and Mae do not flow well together at all. While I understand wanting to please everyone, it's your kid and should be your choice.

For the sake of compromise what about altering the names a little to make them flow but still honoring the person?

Roslyn Mae?

Maylan Rose?

How do you feel about these names? Do you favor one over the other? If you're not fond of either, then you and your hubby should choose your child's name together and don't feel obligated to do what your families want.

I agree with what was previously said; if either of you has siblings, then let them have one of those names for when they become parents.

If you're both only children, then you should simply sit down with your families and talk to them about how you're feeling obligational pressure. Perhaps you will find out that one or both of them won't feel any disappointment if you choose not to use these names.

• Harley

And that's where the very simple fact that this child is coming out of YOUR body comes into play, love. Just because THEY want it, doesn't mean YOU have to do it. Are you only having on child? Are you both only children? Then gracious - let someone else take one or the other middle names. Don't feel so saddled.

How about this simply: Genevieve Rosemae or Brooklyn Rosemae? Has a certain sense of flow doesn't it?

Genevieve Mayrose ?