What is the difference between true belief and religious belief?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Jesus says you shall 'know' the truth and the truth will set you free. So true belief is actual knowledge. Religious belief is mostly faith.

• Snake
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

I'm not sure how you're defining "true belief" and "religious belief" but I'll give my definitions and answer:

-true belief: I would define 'true belief' as a person's acceptance of a concept or idea to an extremely high degree.

-religious belief: Similarly to 'true belief,' religious belief is a person's acceptance of a concept or idea to a high degree. However, the difference is that religious belief is likely to have been passed from one person to another. It's more specific. It may also include a ritualistic element by which the person actively practices this belief in some manner in unison with others.

I don't know if that helps any... but there you go...

• 8 years ago

The definitions of the word 'belief' are:

▸ noun: any cognitive content held as true

▸ noun: a vague idea in which some confidence is placed

So,

'True belief' is when a person truly believes whatever it is that they believe.

'Religious belief' is when a belief is related to religion, rather than something else.

IF what you meant to ask a comparison of was between 'true TEACHINGS' & 'religious TEACHINGS', you need to re-post & reword your Question.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

True belief is based on real evidence. For example, I believe that the earth orbits the sun because that's what the evidence points to. Most religious belief has no real evidence and that's what defines the word faith.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Power
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

You feel true belief. It could be seeing a performance. I am watching the American Idol show & they just had someone sing a song that must have been felt through every fiber of the audiences being. When you experience that everything is perfect in life.

I think that can be a spiritual exerience. Religion has to do with some fat cat screwing people over.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

True belief - One that's internalized from something concrete, and that which any person is comfortable with adhering to....

Religious belief - One that's 'pushed' on to you from scriptures or dictated by the religious leaders, with a great deal of 'conditions apply' (negative consequences) thrown in for the 'nonbelievers'........

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

I think true belief is how you feel about your spirituality, no one can tell you you're wrong about how u feel....religious belief is more of something that has been built and man made.....personally i would rather rely on my personal belief than religion any day

Source(s): My own thoughts
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.