Do you agree with genetic modification in foodstuffs? Why or why not?

Do you think Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO)s are a good or bad idea for society's food supply?

Also, I would appreciate some credible links that you may have come across.

Thanks!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Here is a nice piece on wikipedia:

In agriculture, genetically engineered crops are created to possess several desirable traits, such as resistance to pests, herbicides, or harsh environmental conditions, improved product shelf life, increased nutritional value, or production of valuable goods such as drugs (pharming). Since the first commercial cultivation of genetically modified plants in 1996, they have been modified to be tolerant to the herbicides glufosinate and glyphosate, to be resistant to virus damage as in Ringspot virus-resistant GM papaya, grown in Hawaii, and to produce the Bt toxin, an insecticide that is documented as non-toxic to mammals.

Plants, including algae, jatropha, maize, and other plants have been genetically modified for use in producing fuel, known as biofuel.

Critics have objected to GM crops per se on several grounds, including ecological concerns, and economic concerns raised by the fact these organisms are subject to intellectual property law. GM crops also are involved in controversies over GM food with respect to whether food produced from GM crops is safe and whether GM crops are needed to address the world's food needs.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Jim
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

i think its fine for plants because it can be used to quality control farmed fruits and vegtables by making them the same size same quality same taste it can also be used to make them tolarate harsher pesticides which sounds bad but it if it keeps bugs off its fine by me as long as they dont go as far to add things like hgh it doesnt really hurt anything in my opinion however i dont think it is good for animals because i think it opens the door for what i would qualify as animal abuse by making them have over sized muscles and what not

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.