Car threw sparks on freeway, billowing steam?

So I was on the free way in a construction zone and when I got out I was going 60km. I dropped it in second gear and floored it then it all the sudden threw some sparks out of the engine bay., but it didn't chug or sputter or anything. I drove it easy til I got home and opened the hood and steam was billowing... show more So I was on the free way in a construction zone and when I got out I was going 60km. I dropped it in second gear and floored it then it all the sudden threw some sparks out of the engine bay., but it didn't chug or sputter or anything. I drove it easy til I got home and opened the hood and steam was billowing out. (I'm assuming steam because I couldn't smell anything really and t was dark).

When I dropped it in second it nothing went wrong, I rev matched and put it in, no grinding, no back fire nothing. I'm stumped as to what went wrong, usually I'm pretty good at figuring this stuff out.

I have a 1991 tercel so if you think its pooched don't be afraid to say so because I don't want to put any money in it
1 answer 1