Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 8 years ago

do they have personal support workers in the United States?

Hello I am a personal support worker in Canada and my boyfriend of 2 years who lives in Pittsburgh PA wants me to move there within the year, I was wondering if they have personal support workers in the united states. please help me

1 Answer

  • bw022
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    If your boyfriend wants you to move to the United States, he will need to marry you and sponsor you for a US Green Card.

    Canadians have no legal right to live in the United States. You may visit the United States for a maximum of 180 days each year. Visitors may not attend school, work, or look for work while in the United States. If you are caught trying to work illegally, you'll be deported and banned from the country.

    In order to live and work in the United States, you would need a US green card. These are extremely difficult to obtain. You may obtain one through a job offer from a US company in a profession which has permission to hire foreign workers. Such offers are rare in the extremes. Even if you were in a profession which allowed this, thousands of others will be applying for the same job, and you have no hope if you try limiting your search to a specific city or state. You can get a green card if you invest $1M (or $500k depending upon the state) in a US company or business. You can get a green card if you work for a Canadian company in a management position and are transferred to a branch office in the United States. There are other categories for professional athletes, performing artists, religious workers, etc

    For most people, there is little hope of obtaining one -- other than him marrying you and sponsoring you. Even that requires him to have a solid job, income, residency, savings, etc. and you need to go through background, medical, and financial checks. You will need proof of the marriage and they may investigate it. The process for Canadians can take up to a year. The US has a fiancée visa which allows you to enter and work in the US for a maximum of six months, but you have to get married almost immediately after being accepted in order to ensure your application is underway and completed prior to the fiancée visa expiring.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.