What engineering major should one choose if one would like to enter oil/gas industries in Alberta/Texas?

I need to decide my engineering major, but I would like to enter the oil or gas industry so I need to understand the best major to pursue a career in these fields.

Possible majors include: Civil, Environmental, Industrial, Mechanical, Mining/Mineral, Geological

Mining/mineral isn't possible at the top university though, only the 2,3,4 ranked engineering universities

Geological is only possible at the best university no other top 5 universities in Engineering

Favorite Answer

Of those choices I would suggest mechanical, civil and mining.

I worked as a mechanical engineer for 35 years in the oil and gas industry. I had s very good career.

Power Engineering is very in demand right now. If you have any interest in the tar sands it would be your best bet for entry level.

chemical