Transmission on a 97 Cadillac Seville STS. Very odd..?

Hi all,

My mother bought this car for 4000$ and it worked great until one VERY strange thing happened.

She accidentally sat on the shifter (automatic transmission) and it got a little bent sideways a bit. and then about a week after that,

it made noise when shifting then stopped working altogether within a couple days.

It now does not shift into gears...what a waste!!

She talked to 2 mechanics, one said that the whole engine would have to be taken apart, the other

said there is a reset switch inside the area of the shifter and that it wasn't too big a fix...hmm..ether way, I thought I'd ask

here, as I've since given her a truck and was thinking of taking this car and having it fixed.

does anyone know anything that may help me in this situation?

Favorite Answer

I've never heard of anything like this.

Either the neutral safety switch is faulty or the parking pawl broke. If the parking pawl broke then they would have to remove the transmission to repair it. I would have someone else talk to a different shop and say something else happened like you kicked it accidentally.

Source(s): 30 yrs home mech and Mech Eng

Sitting on the shifter wouldnt cause a problem. Unless its not going into gear . If it tries and nothing happens its not the switch its the transmission and it will need to be rebuilt. check out youtube.com parts of a transmission or something. You should be able to see the switch wire under car as you shift.